Why didn't God call masturbation a sin?

I have heard a lot of explanations of why masturbation is sin, but I have yet to have anyone give me a good explanation for why the Bible does not say it is. Is there any other sexual sin which is not directly and clearly identified as sin in the Bible? There are passages which clearly label as sin such things as fornication, adultery, lust, incest, rape, homosexuality, and even bestiality. Surely the urge to masturbate is more common than most of these, and much stronger than many of them, and yet the Bible says nothing about it. If God felt it necessary to tell us not to have sex with animals, why didn't He also find it necessary to tell us not to masturbate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Touching your privates is not a sin. You touch them everytime you wash or wipe.

The difference between touching your privates and masterbation is your thoughts. God addresses thoughts by saying that we are not be be filled with lustfull or unclean thoughts, but to be pure. The problem with masterbation is not what goes on down below, but what goes on in your mind.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• because its not a sin, the "church" says it is, not God. What could possibly be wrong with it?
    Littledunstan

Answer by Littledunstan at 4:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I don't know, maybe because its not with another person its just you.

Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 4:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Blow jobs and hand jobs are considered sins too, but I really don't agree. It has something to do with sexual pleasure being between a man and his wife, and that ejaculate should only be spilled in the act of creation. So if the man isn't bringing the pleasure it is wrong. I dunno, it is silly to me and I am Catholic.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:37 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Any sexual act outside of marriage is considered sin. During masturbation you are thinking of someone, if that someone isn't your husband, it's sin.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 4:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Because, masturbation isn't in itself of any automatic moral danger or corruption to us. Sexual desire and pleasure drives us to want to have sex which achieves the end of Our Creator's command “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it" (Gen1:28). The Bible then only talks of masturbation as a form of uncleanness as it can make you a ‘slave to various desires and pleasures,’ and it fosters attitudes that can be morally corrupting. (Titus 3:3) At the same time, self-masturbation is not a form of gross sexual immorality, such as fornication (Ephesians 4:19).
    [I'm a JW]
    pomander

Answer by pomander at 5:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

I was going to say the same thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

-

Agreed.
    Mat.5:27,28 Jesus said: "“You heard that it was said, ‘You must not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone that keeps on looking at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."
    pomander

Answer by pomander at 6:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I agree, it is the thoughts that are sinful.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• What if you are thinking of your spouse? It isn't a sin then, but the church doesn't classify that way.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2010