IDK what to do about this "collection" company

West Asset Management has been contacting me teling me I owe them thousands of dollars, Which sadly is true that I have the debt but it from a hospital before I had insurence. They make threating phone calls and hang up constantly. I have done research on the company because I have never heard of them and all I pull up is people being scammed by them.
How is that possible? They have all my information.
I do have a different coeection agency that I have been working with for the same debts and still West Asset Management is contacting me saying I owe them!

I even read how they asked someone for their bank info and took payments out but it never changed on their bill.
They said after 2000 dollars the balance was stil the same.
IDK what to do about these people they wont stop!
I get letters and calls.
LIke I said I already am trying to pay it off with someone else.
What shold I do about these people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Well report them. If you are already working with another agency for the same debt they shouldn't be calling you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• How am I to report them?
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Thanks anon, I was reading thru what debt collectors arent supposed to do and all of that they have doen to me. I have even been treatened with prison if I didnt pay them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• threatened
    Anonymous

That is 100% wrong. I hope you do report them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I just submitted the report. They even ahve hung up on me for not giving them my husbands bank info. They have even threatened to garnish his pay for the debt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Even though you owe a debt you still have rights. Your debt has probably been sold a couple different times that is how they got your information. If you are working with another collection agency be sure that you are keeping track of every single penny you are sending them. In MIchigan you can write a debt agency a certified letter to cease and desist phone contact and they have to do this. Get a tape recorder to have near your phone and tell them when they call that for your protection you are taping the conversation and do it. Tape them threatening you and play it back. If they say thats illegal, tell them if they dont like it to stop calling because each and every call from them will be recorded. Do not admit to anything. Do not explain. Tell them your working with another company period and end the call. Block the calls and change your phone number and make it private.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• call your county's consumer credit organization and also better business bureau.

plus call the attorney general's office - I did that on the suggestion of a friend when a nursing agency wouldn't refund me money - I got my money in hand two days after telling the agency of calling the a g office. Make sure your write down telephone numbers, names, dates, times, even photograph your phone id's with dates and numbers.

Another time a collections agency came to my home to collect in person without permission from me to be on my property. If I were home when they came I would have called the police immediately. The agency left me a note to call them. Undoubtedly the police would have ordered the agency to take it to court, which would have cost them precious money that they were counting on getting without trouble by the home visit.

Also go to a debt collection agency that works out payment plans between customers & creditors.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2010