What is the best way to tell your current babysitter that she will no longer take care of your child?

My current sitter has been taking good care of my son since he was 3 months old. He is almost 3 years old. My sitter is older around her 60's. Every now and then, my son would give her a hard time. For me not enough to switch sitters'. I just found out from my mom yesterday, that my sitter told my son that he was unsufferable (in spanish it sounds bad). All because he did not want to cooperate in changing his clothes. What three year old doesn't give their sitter, let alone their parent a hard time with doing something. That broke my heart to hear that. I can only imagine what my son was feeling. I don't have a new sitter yet, but I will trust me. Now I don't want to seem ungrateful when I tell her she will no longer be taking care of my son. My mom taught me better than that. I really need advice on this.

oyemode

Asked by oyemode at 8:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• To me that doesn't sound like that big of a deal or worth firing the babysitter for. Is your son usually well disciplined and well behaved?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Ask your son - if your son seems afraid or is afraid don't take her back. It could very well have been a sentence said jokingly while she chased after him. A 60 year old going after a three year old who doesnt want to change clothes or do something can be more tiring than for a mom in her twenties or even thirties.

HOW did your mom find out what was said? If she heard the sitter say it with Anger then its time to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• and just tell her you've decided to stay home with your child. Upon her finding out a new sitter's coming just tell her you decided you needed the money still and couldn't afford to quite after all and didn't call her back to sit again cuz you thought she'd already by hired by another family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i like what anon 910. said. but like it was asked how did your mom hear it? what was her tone. she might see herself in a grammy light she has after all watched your son grow up. and being 60 yr has to be a small challange for her..like it was said its easyer in your 20's or 30's. if anything you can ask her. what was it all about. and that it upset u. anyone how has had kids knows that 3 is a tough age they push buttons. 3 yr olds have rough days just like the rest of us. maybe it was a bad day for all. good luck though its a hard thing to decide. best of luck. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If you go ahead and decied not to use her anymore give her a couple weeks notice. When I watched kids I would have parents call and tell me they didn't need me anymore and that was that. no notice-no warning-nothing. It SUCKED
    and like they said- this could have been said different ways- jokingly-or with anger so I would try to find out what happened.
    Babysitters have rough days just like everyone else ; )
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Isn't he old enough for pre-school? I'd tell her that I didn't need to impose on her again.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I'd use her as a back up babysitter instead of letting her go completely. My mom makes the same comments about my son and she doesn't say it cuz she wants to stop watching him, but she's just expressing herself. (my mom watches him a few hrs a week and when SO n I go out)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If the sitter has been with your son that long, and that is the worst that you can say about her, you don't have a problem. Is it really worth disrupting your son's life like that? Good sitters are hard to find, and if you found one, I'd stick with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Everyone thank you for all the advice I have recieved in this short time. I wish i could say this was the only reason why I am swithching sitters', but its not the case here. I know she has taken good care of my son for almost three years, but she is not able to care for him properly. At least not anymore, she is not. There were other issues going on at the same time with her. One of the issues I'll explain breifly is the fact that my son has no real access to play in my sitters' home. To be more precise, its not her home, she lives with her sister. her sis has a lot of fragile stuff in the apartment. So my sitter has my son stuck in her room to play, which is not much space to begin. Lucky for me, my son is starting preschool, plenty of space to play. Once again thank you and I will take most of the advice here when dealing with my current or future sitter.
    oyemode

Answer by oyemode at 5:21 AM on Jan. 23, 2010