How can I get blue food coloring out of my light couch ?

mommabear1991

Asked by mommabear1991 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It's most likely going to be permanent. By it's very nature, food coloring is a DYE, meant to dye things a different color. Depending on what fabric your sofa is, it may be a goner. If it's cotton or something, it's a lost cause. Rayon, polyester, nylon, etc (synthetic fibers) - you may have a chance at removing it. I would try to spot clean it with club soda. Keep a hair dryer or small fan nearby so you can dry it very quickly after attempting to spot clean it w/ the club soda; otherwise, you will end up with a water ring on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• you could try hydrogen peroxide, you could even try bleach, a bleach spot may be better than a blue spot. i had a beige carpet that my boys got food coloring all over...all colors. i bleached them out, and did not have a bleach spot either.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• The only thing that could possibly get it out is oxyclean. If you have a Bissel Spot Bot (love mine), you could clean the spot with the Bissel cleaner mixed with the Bissel oxygen cleaner booster (that's made for the Spot Bot). If you don't have a Spot Bot, by an oxygen carpet spot cleaner and give that a try.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Be warned that OxyClean may very well bleach out the spot just as straight bleach would, so I'd advise against using unless you don't mind a bleach spot. Or at least try the Oxyclean first in a discreet area of the sofa so you can test and see if will discolor the fabric.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Pee on it. I swear to it.
    Anonymous