constipation in a 6 month old what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you sure it is constipation? Are you formula feeding or breast feeding? Is the poop in hard pellets?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• To advise you we need more info like amileegirl was asking. Formula or breast? If you're feeding solids, how often and what? Are you giving water or juice? Is your baby on vitamins with iron? What symptoms make you feel your baby is constipated?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I agree we need more info but we my son was that age would get constipated we were advise to try Karo and juice you should try one if it doesnt work try the other my sons was always so bad we had to use a combo of the two but be very careful using karo I always kept my bottle clean and only kept it for a month(for us it was usually gone in the month but if not throw it out) but these are for extreme cases.. Exhaust all other choices first before resorting to these water with about 2oz of juice for most babies does wonders I hope this helped and you LO gets things moving again
    Anonymous

• Karo is a botulism risk like honey. DO NOT USE.

If baby is passing hard dry pellets, up the liquids and decrease or dump the solids. Breastmilk is a natural laxative, if you're nursing. Formula should be the majority of baby's intake if you're formula feeding. In both cases...solids should be an afterthought.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I use Chamomile tea and a drop of Karo syrup.

I make a cup of tea and pour that into a 4 oz bottle. My baby only drinks about 2 oz and that seems to work.
    mespinoza

Answer by mespinoza at 6:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2010