What to do with unused meds.?

I have several unused pain killers and it kills me to just put them to waste.. I know its illegal to sell them in the streets, but is there like a program or something that allows you to send them back to the pharmacy and get part of the cost back? or maybe a program where you can re-sell them to someone that has no medical insurance and needs the same meds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Health

• nope, kind of like a store can sell open food containers.. safety reasons

for pain killers, I put them up in the medicine cabinet for a rainy day. You never know when they could come in handy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• No you can' do any of those. If you don't want them, take them to the local pharmacy and they will dispose of them
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• They cannot be re-used but you can return them to the pharmacy for safe disposal.  That is what I, do especially with my daughter's expired epipens.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Thank you ladies.. i did think of the hygene issue with open meds.. thanks for the tip on bringing them to the pharmacy for disposal.. I did not want to throw them in the garbage because they might end up in water or an animals stomach. I cant keep them to take them because they are really strong, they where for after surgery.. thanks again for your quick response.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I take them to the pharmacy so they can dispose of properly.

its never safe to reuse any meds.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• you can also flush them, this is what most places do to dispose of unused meds safely.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Take them to the pharmacy is the best thing.

They used to tell you to flush them but newer studies are showing that the meds show up in the water supply when you do this.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 11:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• if you dont want them flush them down the toilet or put them in the dumpster. just make sure you take your info off the bottle first.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 12:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i meant dont flush them... jeez brain is out of function this morning lol
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 12:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Take them to a firehouse

Answer by rkoloms at 12:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2010