Whenever you hug your kids and they lay on your chest/boobies...Do they ask?

Mommy why do you have those?...Like for me my dd is 6 yrs. old and she asked me this first I told her God made all mommy's to have boobies bc some of us feed our babies with them, so when you get older you too will have boobies. She was like oh...ok...but probably still wondering wth...lol she looked so funny sometimes we'll cudddle and she'll try to feel them and I catch her and try to feel hers she just laughs bc I am mainly tickling her but after a while I try to distract her like hey let's watch tv if not you will have to sit else where so she'll stay quiet, but I know she is just curious...What do you say or do? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my son asks...he also wonders why i have two butts
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i just tell him girls dont have ptongs. he is still confused but what else am i gonna say?????
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My son has never asked, but he's seen me breastfeed 2 little brothers. Our recent concern has been why girls have to sit to pee, I've explained the basic boy/girl anatomy....tried to keep my explanation bathroom related (he's only 5) but he keeps asking me WHY girls don't have a penis lol. I'm SO not ready to give a kindergartner "THE talk" so I've gotten really good at changing the subject. I often end the convo with "why do you have ten fingers?" "I don't know" "Neither does mommy." lol.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:36 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think your explanation was really good. I have not had any anatomy conversations with the boys yet. They have not been curious enough to ask, but when they do I will be honest about it and use the correct terms for those areas.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 9:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think your explanation was age appropriate. My daughter started asking really young and I have always answered her questions. To me it's not about sex, it's about anatomy and it is information I would rather her receive from me than her friends, etc. Just keep it an ongoing, open conversation and she will always feel comfortable coming to you with concerns. I started actually talking to my daughter about sex when she was 8 and was surprised at how much her friends had already told her like, "Sex is when 2 people lay on top of each other naked". Curiosity is normal. Also, there are many books out there that may help you and she may enjoy reading.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I simply explained that all female mammals have them and they are for feeding their young. Then we discussed mammal traits and what creatures are mammals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My daughter started asking me about my boobies at about 18 months old. She came into the abthroom when I was taking a bth and was like "Mommy! What are those?!" Lmao, I starte laughing and just told her the truth, "Their boobies!" She asked why she didn't have big boobies like me and I told her when she gets older she will. So she is all excited now to grow up and have boobies.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I just told my daughter the truth, they're breast (boobs in my house) and that all woman have them and some feed their babies with them. Like another poster said, now she's excited that she'll get some when she's older.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My 4 yr old calls them my "nursing pads" lol She was bf'd for 17 months and saw me bf her little sister for 22 months. We've been going to LLL meetings since she was a baby & I never hid or changed the subject when she asked about mine. I do correct her and tell her they are breasts, that all mammals have them in order to feed our babies and someday she'll have them so that if she decides to have a baby she can nurse it. Her response is usually, "Oh, ok."
    For other anatomy questions, I give simple answers and never offer more info than she asks for. We have a book called When You Were Inside Mommy that's been one of her favorites for a long time. We don't have any little boys at our house, so we haven't had any questions about penises yet. I know it's coming; she has asked why there are different bathrooms for boys and girls at school. I've just said because boys and girls are different and that was enough for her.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2010