Is there any one who home schools there kids?

Im thinking about home schooling my three year old onces he gets into kindergarden but I have no idea where to even start. What do I do what books do I buy and is it even possible to hire someone to come in and help. If so how much would it cost to have someone come out to my home and teach and how many hourse a day will he need school? Any other info would help. Thanks

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My mother-in-law is going to homeschool our children (she homeschooled all 11 of hers!) I will be sure to ask her where she gets her material allthough she follows a Catholic/homeschool format. I googled Homeshool supplies and there were lots of sites that were up there. There are groups all over that are support groups for homeschoolers check your city/state and see if there is one near you. Good luck!
    Shannon_leigh82

Answer by Shannon_leigh82 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• First thing you will need to do is check with the laws in your state. Each state has different laws as to what you have to do. Then check around, many areas have homeschooling groups where you can get information, support and help from other homeschooling moms.

Check CafeMom for a local group (Mouseover Group, click on 'Find group', enter your zip code or search by state).
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 9:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If you would like more information you can join the Happy Homeschoolers group here on CafeMom. I personally am hesitant to talk about homeschooling in the Answers section because of misinformed and judgmental people.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• There are a lot of homeschoolers around. Technically, I don't anymore because my youngest is in college now... but did homeschool all the way through for both girls.

The first thing you need to do is find out what kinds of laws you are actually subject to (best not to ask public school folks, it often comes as a surprised that it is legal where it always has been)... it's not too early for you to connect with homeschoolers in your area, and lots of other parents with kids the same age as yours are looking into it, too.

I personally prefer the philosophy of John Holt and Ivan Illich, but there are many schools of thought on the subject. John Taylor Gatto, David Guterson, Betty Baldry, Marsha Ransom, and dozens of others. I recommend you read a variety of authors and websites and see whose ideas you're most drawn to.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Yes, I do. It's fun.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 9:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2010