My 8 year old son has started twirling and pulling his hair - does anyone else's child do this?

ryansmom66

Asked by ryansmom66 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• http://trich.org/about/hair-pulling.html

is she doing that or just playing with her hair?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My 6 year old twirls his hair. He does it when he's frustrated or tired. It's very comforting to him. He hates when I give him haircuts because the sides are shorter and harder to twirl.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 9:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My brothers have twirled their hair from a young age. Sometimes as adults you will still see them do it occasionally. I think it is a comfort thing.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 11:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Just the twirling is a comfort thing. My girl does that and tickles her ears with it. If he is pulling it out, that can be a problem, the very least of which will be bald spots.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• This is one of many nervous habits that children adopt. In North America, nervous habits are seen in about 60% of children at 8 years of age. Our modern, Western lifestyles aren't very suitable for children's mental health.

The solution to all nervous habits is to address the source of the anxiety.

Maybe have a less-intense schedule at home.

Maybe spend a little time evaluating the kinds of things being watched on tv, particularly real stuff like news, or shocking reality tv because they're not even pretending to be fake. Even animated material can be disturbing, even when thoughtful parents are watching along with and talking about the issues that come up. Generally, it's simplest to remember that to the child, even when it's drawings, what happens on their tv is happening in their house.

Be aware of the impact of the violence on the schoolyard on sensitive kids, even if it's not happening to him.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• There is a name for this ive forgotton what it is, but it is a comfort/stress thing, pop along to the doctor for some advice
    niceandspice

Answer by niceandspice at 9:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2010