Advise needed on getting rid of the pacifier!

I am looking for ideas on how to get rid of this thing. My daughter is not responding to prizes or anything. She has had binkies with a slice in them but that didn't stop her. Please help me, we have tried cold turkey and for two hours straight for the past couple of nights she just screams.
PS She onlys takes it at night time or nap.

mommy2each

Asked by mommy2each at 9:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we had my dd go cold turkey we also said the paci fairy came and had to take them so the kids who couldnt afford to have one gets one and that she said it was time to become a big girl..and the first few nights were rough but we held our ground ( we threw out all temptation ) after about 5 days there was no more crying/screaming or fighting.. she just went to bed. and same the next night just went to bed..didnt even ask for one..or to call the fairy to bring one back ( she was 2 yrs ) she is now 12 and laughs when i tell her the story..one of thoes omg i fell for that.. u have to stay strong and know it will ease after time. some longer then others but it will work out in the end..be paient and remember to breath..and avoid temptation its to easy to give up. hugs to u mama xoxo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If your child is over the age of 3, as suggested by the category you put this question in, then you need to just take it cold turkey. When she screams and cries you need to remind yourself that she isn't sick, or in pain. She isn't a newborn that doesn't understand what's going on. She's just missing her paci.

My DD was extremely addicted to her paci. She got to where she stuffed it in her mouth whether she was sleepy, happy, sad, etc. When she was 18 months old, we took the paci and made her quit cold turkey. I know that the screaming and crying can be bad, but a toddler does not need a paci. She will be fine and get through this. There is no easy or slow way to wean a toddler from a paci. You just need to take it and be consistant and not give in.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I agree that you just have to take it away and not look back. My daughter took one until she was 3 and when we took them away we did it for good. Every time you give in though and give it back it is just teaching her that if she throws a big enough fit she will get it back and the fits will only last longer than the one before. I did something similar with the "pacifier fairy" and told my daughter that there were babies that needed them more than her. We put them in a big manilla envelope and put them in the mailbox before she went to bed so the fairy could come and take them. When she woke up in the morning there was a big girl surprise waiting for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I saw on television one family had the child put all of them in a bag and go outside and tie it to a tree for the "Passy Fairy" to take them to other little kids who need them. Then in the morning they let her go outside and there was a surprise tied to the tree for her for being so generous from the fairy.

It could be worth a try and I know older kids are into the fairies and such like my little girl, lol.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• this is what i did. i firt took it away durinmg the day. she could have it during naps and bedtime only. a month l;ater i took it away for naptime(she stop her naps) and only to bed. i try the coldtrurkey and i couldnt do it. but a month ago we went back home to florida and we took it away. the first 3 days we hell but after that she forgot about it. its been 1 month sice we took it away. sometimes she asked for it but then i tell her its for babies and is eww and she says k mommy and goes back to bed
    so my advised is you can slow wean a little then on a weekend take it away
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My son never was without his for the first 3 years of his life and we had every bit of 40 of the damned things in the house. We had a few trial runs of breaking him but gave in, we eventually just took them all ( The mad pucky hunt of 09' as it's known in my house) my son helped and he about shit himself when he saw me snip all the nipples off completely, so I couldnt back down. He threw them away with me and was ok until about an hour later, he cried for 6 hours until he fell asleep exhausted. we did this for 3 days and now almost a year later he doesnt even remember them. I just firmly, CALMLY said we don't have anymore baby.
    It's not easy but it's something that will be done sooner or later so do it sooner before it's too late. My sons teeth are a wreck from my stupidity.
    PhatAttack

Answer by PhatAttack at 2:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Here's some context for you that may perhaps give you a different perspective.

When an object (pacifier, blankie, stuffy, special pillow, doll or whatever) has been given to the child as a mother-substitute (something that soothes instead of the mother soothing), the child takes it on as a mother substitute. For the child, the object is a part of the mother --the part that is soothing when she's otherwise alone, afraid, in pain or hungry when no one else is with her.

Now you are asking her to give up a part of her mother.

She will outgrow the need of this object. Trust that she'll outgrow the need. With 2 nights of screaming and stress over losing track of this, initially she'll be a lot more attached to it than she was a week ago.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• do you know of anybody with a younger child try telling her that you need to give it to a new baby or when you know shes not interested in it hide it out of sight out of mind
    inmemoryofjacob

Answer by inmemoryofjacob at 10:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2010