Is their any Home Remedies for Allergies??

It's not even Spring/Summer yet & my Allergies are terrible!!! They have never been this bad & I can't figure out what it is in my house that is causing it. I clean & vacuum everyday. We do have a Cat, but we've had him for 3 years now. Is their anything I can do??? I'm going to go buy some Zyrtec this evening. I just can't stop sneezing.... :( I'm so miserable!

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 9:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Health

• To answer your question, no.

Zyrtec is great. My allergist prefers Zyrtec to anything else he could prescribe. I had lived with a cat for 5 years and had no clue I was allergic to cats until I saw an allergist. I tested 4++ to cats, which means off the chart allergic to them.

I take allergy shots once a week that have greatly improved my quality of life.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:07 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Supposedly, if you buy local honey and take 1-2 spoonfuls a day you'll help combat outdoor allergies...you could have some mold hiding in your walls, or something in your carpet (the chemicals that it's made with can be really bad, same with furniture)...are you using room air fresheners or anything, most of those can be bad, shoot, even your kitty litter could be giving off something!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• This apartment was just re-modeled last Summer, so everything is new. But, our toilet has a small leak we're going to fix this week and it has caused some mold. I can't get the apartment complex to do anything about it. Thank GOD we're moving within a year. I've been thinking about giving my cat a bath.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 11:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If you've had your cat this long. I doubt its the cat! Though many always think it is. Plus its not their fur or hair its their saliva. Best of Luck! Maybe its something else! So much can be hiding the reall issues! I care and hope you find your right remedy! Best of luck to you! Sometimes it can be an air freshner, cleaning item, a candle Etc.. Rule out anything new!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Do you vacuum ewveryday? A lot of people think that vaccuming everydayw ill help their allergies, but it's actually stirring up dust more often then neccesary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Have a spoonful of local honey every day
    Eliminate dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 12:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Maybe a Neti Pot would help. It would clean the nasal cavities out.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Consider going to an allergy clinic and get tested.
    Anonymous

• Actually, yes. There are a lot of things you can do to help your allergies, and to minimize your exposure to the things you're allergic to.

1. stop vacuuming. When you vacuum, even using the best filtered vacuums there are, you pull dust mite dirt, dust, pollen and pet dander up out of the carpet, off the floors and vent it to your face. If you want your house vacuumed, get someone else to do it with the windows open while you're out and not coming home for a few hours.

2. wash your hair before you go to bed. Pollen, dander, dust, and dust mite dirt all rest in your hair, so when you go to bed, you're rubbing your face in the pillow that's catching it all while you lie there.

3. 'dust' with water. Or a damp cloth, or homemade 'swiffer' rags (swiffer just sells what lots of people have known for ages: dampen a cloth with fabric softener and voila, you have a dust magnet) --anything that gets the dust to cling.

-more
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• -more-

4. eat less meat. For some reason, many people find that the less meat they eat, the lower their reactivity is to their allergies. A period of a couple of weeks as a vegetarian when there's a lot of your allergens around might help a lot.

5. wash the cat. It's shed dander that's the problem, from an allergy point of view (particularly if you're sneezing, not rubbing your eyes and then getting all red and watery), and loose dander can be washed off.

6. eat anti-inflammatory foods. Cherries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, nuts and seeds and dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, mustard and collard greens) all have anti-inflammatory properties, which some people find eating daily diminish their allergy symptoms.

7. wash your hands before you touch your face. You may be contaminating your own face from what you're touching.

8. air your bed. Dust mites need moisture to live, dry bedding kills them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2010