What do you think about...

So you hear people always talking about the year 2012..Me I think everything will be fine but I want to know what does everyone else think..

What do you think about the year 2012?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it'll be another year just like every other.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think it will be like any other year :)

The astronomer Philip Plait has stated very clearly that the Mayan calendar does not end in 2012 at all, that it is like the odometer on your car, as each section of the odometer reaches 9 and then clicks over to 0, the next number to it starts a new cycle, so that when all the numbers again reach 0 all the way across the odometer - the last number will change from 1 to 2 and the new cycle starts all over again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Try watching the episode about 2012 on conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura. I was not a believer in 2012 until watching it. I don't believe it's the religious end of times, but scientists are predicting major solar flares at that times that will basically leave us without electricity for a VERY long time. Can you imagine how quickly our world would turn to chaos without power?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/42730/forums/read/10629373/NEW_CONSPIRACY_THEORY_WITH_JESSE_VENTURA_2012_CONSPIRACY

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• It's another scare tactic to make money. Remember stocking up on canned food for Y2K? It's another year my friend. There will always be those dooms dayers out there.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Matthew 24:36-39 Jesus said: “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be."
    [I'm a JW]
    pomander

Answer by pomander at 10:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I believe it's the year my eldest daughter will graduate from high school. Other than that... I really don't think much about it.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

Yup. My grandmother was CONVINCED the world would end in 2000
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• the next Y2K

(It's all a bunch of hooey.)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think it will be a lot like Y2K was.
    There might be weather shifts and such but nothing catastrophic that will take the earth out,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Scientists don't predict solar flares, they watch them. A few months ago was the first time since the Little Ice Age that there were none at all --someone took a picture, it was so bizarre. No one predicted that.

2012 isn't anything except the completion of the 23,000 (37,000?) year cycle of the earth's wobble on its axis, from the completely arbitrary point it was first marked by the Mayans. That's why their calendar is so long --because they appreciated the variation in the earth's tilt and incorporated it into their calendar because they thought it mattered. As of Dec 21 (or 12, depending who you ask), 2012, the cycle begins again.

Believing it has anything to do with the end of the world is like believing that since 2010's calendar ends on December 31, that means the world ends.

Good to give the masses something to worry about, though. Keeps their minds off real issues, like politics and laws.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2010