what are common signs that i'm going into labor soon cause i'm 38 weeks pregnant?

i would like to know any signs or symptoms please anyone. i'm curious ...when i last went to the doctor they told me i was 3 cm last week....but i dont feel like my baby dropped cause im carrying high still

graciause

Asked by graciause at 10:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you could sit at 3cm for the next 3 weeks. but typically you with lose your mucus plug, start to have more intense contractions although i never flet any contractions with my first and went to a normal doc visit to find i was already at 5 cm. and you may even have your water break (sometimes it doesnt break and the doc does it) and you could see a bloody show. its different for everyone. but im sure your seeing the doc every week now so ask your doc what to look for and also keep your pregancy book close by.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I was 4cm for 2 weeks. My water broke at home at 3am. All I can tell you is what everyone kept telling me - when you are in labor - you WILL know.

For me, the day before I went into labor, I was more tired than normal. BUT I was also 39 weeks pregnant! It had been a LONG day - our car blew up (literally - on the side of the road). But all day I just felt 'off'. I had an OB apt that day & had an US. Baby was still measuring small... (turns out he was 2 inches longer and 1.5lbs heaver than expected!). But when I went into labor at 3am - when my water broke - there was NO mistaking that EXCRUCIATING pain. I had never felt anything like it in my entire life!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Yeah, you will definitely just know. The average first time mom goes into labor at 41 weeks and 3 days. You may have to wait a bit, and that's ok. Your baby will come when s/he is ready. I know it's hard (my son came at 41 weeks and 1 day) but you are so close. Just be patient.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2010