What do you really think they do?

I have two teenage sk's and they are usually alone during the day after school their mom is an ok mom but not a real mom should be she pretty much let's them do what they want but they are good kids it just worries us bc they are alone most of the time...could they be doing things they are not supposed to? I mean c'mon common sense...I just hate to think that I am right on this. They do have too much time on their hands :( So hard to watch there every move when we don't live close enough I am feeling this for my dh as well...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Teenagers are always up to something. Some teenagers do make better choices than their peers do. If your sk don't get into trouble, I think they are fine.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• It depends on the kids how much the parents check up on them, and what they have access to. My 13 yo calls me when she gets home, so I know she is there. She might eat too many snacks before I get home, and she might watch tv instead of doing homework, but that's about it. My husband works from home and may return to the house at random times, so she knows she can't count on no one being home for any set amount of time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• One of the fun stories I heard about on Oprah (who really goes for the extreme example) was of a group of 12yos who were 'phoning to demonstrate they were home' while there was an orgy going on in the next room.

When I saw that I thought how funny people are: parents may, as a result of a phone call, know that their kids are at home... but it also means that the children know the parents are safely at work --however far away that commute may have them.

If you're in the same neighbourhood, you could invite them to pop by, and then make it a habit to have snacks on hand in case they show up. Be making cookies or muffins or something --or be ready to throw something into the oven that will be ready in 20 minutes. When they are welcome to hang out with people who love them and who are willing to feed them and their friends, it's unlikely they'll elect to be home alone, for however much freedom that gives them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My teens were alone a lot and they were fine. They are adults now and they don't smoke or drink or do drugs. My kids were sort of boring I guess but they did their homework and helped clean up the house. I'm sure if they did something wrong they would have told me by now so let's not think the worst of teens. They are probably online or watching tv or even on the phone like real teens.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I don't think the are doing anything wrong just because they are alone a lot. I babysat my sisters from the time I was about 12 until I was 15, I didn't do anything wrong while I was watching them, I just watched them. If I had been totally alone, I might have watched movies or listened to my stereo really loud. You said yourself they are good kids...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2010