Christian Moms....please help me

I am a Baptist mom and I love God and Jesus with all of my heart. I have learned that my daughter (16) feels herself to be pagan and that there is no God? I realize perhaps that this is opening a can of worms and full well ready to hit the mental delete button on any bashing. What I want to know is this....what would you do about it? How would you try to correct things and try to help her see the will of God for her life? I know that even though she does not believe in God, he believes in her. I know that there is hope for all...This Momma is a sad panda this morning and could use some kind and thoughtful support.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well just love her where she is at and pray for her. You cannot do anything to change her mind, only Holy Spirit can. Be Christ to her walking in love and grace always. I know as a mom that is hard to do. My 15 yr old son isnt sure about God either but it didn't help that his Dad chose not to believe much anymore. All you can do is just believe God's best for His love believes the best. If you to engage in any kind of conversation about this with her, just let her talk and listen to her. Be lead by Holy Spirit always. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• She has to find her own spiritual way. This is not unusual. I spent years researching other religions and in the end came back to Christianity. God will watch over her.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• your daughter is "only" 16 many have to try new things and this is new....given the chance she may come around, but you cannot force her to believe something that she does not believe, it will only push her away from u and ur family. just give her time bc shes probably going to try other religions to not all are bad but many have a god or gods (i took a religions class) The only one i would try to steeer here clear of is anything involving satanic cultures or worshipping. All else just let her try them jewism, buddhism, hinduism, there is nothing remotely bad about these they are actually quite intruiging to learn about.

best thing for u to do is "study study study" up on her current religion tho it may change remotely but keep an eye on the beliefs (new religions are always popping up) study and learn and let her do her thing :) hope this helps
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• What are you sad about? Yes God has a plan for her, this is it, and your trial in faith.

God says the best way to show his love and mercy is to be a model. I went through this phase as a teen.

Its all a part of finding one self. God encourages that. You wont find you, inner you with out God, some hit rock bottom before they realize that.

I would think you did your part in raising her up in God. Now its her turn to accept Gods gift or reject it.

Im not waiting for the time when my children will have the knowledge of religion and the power to chose, but I will accept it cause it's Gods will.

Be strong and keep leading here lightly without interfearing with Gods lessons for her, you may make her angry.

Growing up I was given the resources to explore religions, that made me the faithful worshiper I am today, My choice given from God was respected and no one tried to take it away.

Blessings*
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• She is obviously either being influenced by people around her - or she is responding to something that happened in her own life. What would I do? Well, probably the same thing I have been doing with my brother who is 19 taking the same stance... I would PRAY - HARD. God knows her heart - as well as yours. If she is truly a child of God, she has that voice in her hart, how ever soft it may be, speaking to her. Keep SHOWING her the love of Christ. No sense in talking 'at' her - she isn't hearing you anyways. Just pray - cry out. It may take days, months - even years... but she WILL come back.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• 16 yo's tend to be attracted to issues for the shock value. I would let her know that God is ok with the questioning. You are not shocked and neither is he. It is in the questioning that we find answers and come out of the search stronger. He will be there waiting for her as she goes on this journey. Help her with her search so that she is not getting information from people who have agendas. Let her know you love her and that you will gladly answer any question she has. Don't make this the sole focus of your discussions. She may let it go away after she realizes you didn't wig-out, but was willing to let her search for answers. Be ready to guide her back very quietly.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I was raised in church and my dad was a pastor. I had a relatinship with Christ and was truly saved... however, at 19 i chose to walk away from that relationship and started down the path of wicca. My advice... continue to pray for her, continue to be a positive Christian example, and continue to love her. Also begin to pray God's biblical promises regarding our children. Yes, I walked away but I had a praying mother and I did eventually return. BTW - I have a 21 year old son who at about the same age as your daughter walked away from God but now he is on staff and in fulltime ministry at our church.
    Anonymous

• Your daughter will be fine. You cannot force her to believe that which she does not believe, and trying will only push her away. Respect her differences, and let her know you respect her beliefs (at least the fact that she has a mind of her own). Do nothing, except practice your religion and pray for her (not in front of her). This, I believe, is all you can and should do. Love your daughter.
    Anonymous

• This is a very general statement regarding a change to any religion:

If my daughter wanted to change her religion at 16, I would say that's old enough that I would respect it, and tell her that I respect it.

- but I would need in exchange for her to maintain respect for our family rules requiring participation in our family prayers and family nights (that also happen to have a spiritual thought) because they're family activities just as much (if not more so) than religious activities.

In mean time, like other moms, I would pray, try to set a good example, and of course hope for a return to the faith of our family.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Shaneagle.

I personally would also be on my knees praying. I would remember that there is a spiritual battle going on; there is a whole unseen realm and I need to wage a spiritual battle with spiritual weapons. Arguing with her will do nothing but push her away from me, and the enemy will use that against us.

My grandma was a Christian and she watched me walk a path that leads away from Christ. She would share with me in love, not excessively. But she battled for my soul on her knees. Our prayers are powerful to bring down strongholds! Not only did her prayers bring to to faith in Christ, but I have given my life to serving the Lord in ministry.

Pray the Scriptures over her as she sleeps as well (Don't freak her out or anything though! LOL).
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2010