Does anyone else have a problem doing the elliptical?

I'm not in horrendous shape by any stretch, I'm not a marathon runner either, but for whatever reason the elliptical KILLS me. I can walk fast on the treadmill (4mph) with a steep incline for as long as anything, I can ride the bike forever, but the elliptical is just SO HARD to me. I look around and see much larger/out of shape people on it at a high level for long periods of time, while I'm struggling on level 1. What is the deal? The only thing I can think of is that I'm very short waisted with very long legs, but that's a reach, not sure that would affect anything. Physically, I should be able to do this. My DH was on it for AN HOUR no problem the other day, I STRUGGLE to make it for 15 minutes, my legs just ache. Why?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 12:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• your body sounds like mine!!!
    i love the elliptical, but i can't take the pressure of the treadmill anymore, so i don't have much of a choice! i think your body just has to get used to it.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Yeah, it's not my thing either. Not sure what my problem is but I don't even try anymore on them.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I have never been able to use one, they have a set stride that is MUCH longer than my normal stride so I can never get into a rhythm that works
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I freakin HATE elipticals-hubby bought one and it just lives in our room with no love! He used it a few times and I think I tried it once!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• nope...can't do it. I've tried but its the coordination thing for me.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Have you adjusted the angle of the foot rests? I had a SOLE elliptical and the foot rests were adjustable. If the angle was too far out, I would hurt all over. Also, if you are wearing shoes that you once ran in, the soles might be worn to an angle. This could cause your balance to be off and really exhaust and hurt you.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• yes i have one my husband bougt me and it feels very uncowdinated and awward i think i would prefere a tread mill he bouht it cause of my knees but i dont like it
    Cindylehew

Answer by Cindylehew at 12:29 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I tried one and believe it or not, it hurt my knees, I couldn't figure out why??? This is suppose to be a non impact piece of equipment, so I tried it again, and my knees just can't handle it. Not worth the pain.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2010