My son vomitted, and has had frequent and NASTY diahrea since yesterday....what to do

He threw up yesterday while I was at work- after refusing his oatmeal and having some of an apple and his milk earlier.

(he is 23 months - no medication or food allergies)

He's been having nasty runny diahhrea diapers since yesterday, and has had absolutely no appetite - did not even want the one cracker I offered yesterday or water which I offered a few times. This morning he felt well enough to walk around and say good morning to everyone, so I thought maybe he feels better, tried to give him a bite of my banana, he took a bite, then vomitted all over the kitchen sink after swallowing half of that one bite (first time I've had to clean barf ever- and right before work- I cam still small the vomit and poo yuck!)
What can I do for him? he is so weak earlier his daddy tried to give gim half an apple, he slowly ate a little, waiting to see if it stays down

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just let it run its course it sounds like a stomach bug, take him to the dr
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• only thing you can do is keep him hydrated. poor little guy :(
    Anonymous

• it might be the intestinal flu i heard that is going around
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Keep him drinking lots of water and crackers as tolerated. The more he poops and pukes the more of the bug will pass. He's probably contagious so wash wash wash your hands and his. Disenfect as much as possible my whole family had the same thing.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Diarrhea is never something to dismiss lightly, especially beyond 24 hrs. The first danger is Dehydration. He's losing electrolytes. This is needed for hydration. Run and buy Pedialyte (available at most grocery stores). In past, I've been told by peds to buy this and limit or no dairy products, until diarrhea is gone. Soup and crackers are about all his stomach will absorb right now. Gingerale and Gatoraide are only other liquids allowed. If after starting this regime, he doesn't improve within a day or two, or develops a temp of 101 or higher, take him to your Pediatrician. Keep all contact areas and hands sanitized. Call your Pediatrician now and ask for any other precautions.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• keep him hydrated, and let him rest. i am not a fan of pedialyte myself. i wouldn't be too concerned about replacing electrolytes just yet. good luck to you...i know it is hard when our lo's aren't feeling well. give him extra snuggles!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Sounds like a stomach bug. My son just had one for 4 days. (He just turned 2) He was throwing up and had diarrhea. Sometimes he would eat, other times he wouldn't really be hungry. Luckily he was still nursing, so that helped keep him hydrated. Don't give him juice, as that can make the diarrhea worse and stay away from dairy (except yogurt, which can actually help) because it's also hard on the stomach. We also got some organic "Gatorade type" drink that he really liked. You could also try Pedialyte.  Popsicles are also a good option.  We had him eat bananas, yogurt, soup, cous cous, etc.   Things that are all very easy to hold down.

If you take him to the doctor they will likely just tell you it's a virus that needs to run its course and all you can do is keep him hydrated.  Hope your little one feels better soon.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2010