To co-sleep or NOT to co-sleep?

That is the question.

IF so - for how long? When do you transition - if ever? When do you get time with your husband?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do not understand this whole "co-sleeping" phenomenon. #1 It's dangerous, especially for an infant. Look at all the cases of babies suffocating in their crib with nothing around them. Now you add two adults and how high is the risk?
    #2 You're just putting off the inevitable. It's the natural progression of life. You nurture them inside you for nine months and then you continue while raising them to be independent. Just because you don't sleep with them doesn't mean you don't love them. You can still cuddle them all you want, you just don't have to sleep with them. #3 It's not good for your relationship with your husband. Cherish your couple time during the child-rearing years. You're not neglecting your kids when you put them in their own beds to sleep. You're spending time as a couple apart from your kids, which is how it should be. I raised 3 well-adjusted girls with no co-sleeping. It works.
    pkdrummer

Answer by pkdrummer at 12:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• my kids come to our room about...2 am to 4am. for us thats not a problem lol. but they both have slept in the bed with us as babis but they also slept in cribs, and they have toddler beds now. Sometimes my daughter (3) doesnt come into the room until about daylight :), my son hes 2 a rough average on 230am is the best for him.
    dh and i still have time for one another
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If you are nursing I highly recommend it if you want to get any sleep. We co-slept/sleep with our kids. DD stayed in the bed with us until she was 2 when she decided she wanted to sleep in her own bed and never looked back. DS will be 3 in March and its been a long transition that we are still working on. While I'm ready to have my bed back all night long, I will miss having him.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i nursed and co slept. if nursing, then co sleeping hardly interrupts your sleep. my babies all moved out at different times. my first son showed us he needed his own space by sleeping perpendicular between us...he was taking up 1/2 the bed at 6 mos. we moved him to a twin mattress on the floor, he had no problems w/the transition. my second son stayed with us at least 1 1/2 yrs. my twins...at 12 mos i started them in toddler beds for naps, then at 15 mos i weaned them and put them in their room for night. training them to nap took a greuling two weeks with dd screaming for 2 hours! but training them at nap first, i think made bedtime easier.
    congrats on your baby and good luck with all of your decisions!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• You should co-sleep if you feel comfortable and for however long you feel suitable. Sometimes the baby needs that comfort.
    I coslept with my first child and my 2 boys did fine with out it. Its your call.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Just don't do it, then you don't have to worry about all of those questions and everyone will get a better nights sleep :)
    Anonymous

• We coslept at night; naps in crib or bassinet. When she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis (around 14 months), we stopped cosleeping.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Not. I breastfed and would get up with my son, feed him, and put him back in his crib. All 4 of my kids have slept in their cribs from the night we came home from the hospital and have been sleeping through the night (8 plus hours) by 2 months.
    I can't imagine not having my marital bed alone with my spouse. I love my husband, I love the closeness we share and if I feel like being intimate in the middle of the night, I like knowing that we can do that.
    I also think that in a lot of cases it ends up being a hard habit to break. I know some 6-8 year olds that still sleep in their parents bed(s)! I think it would be difficult on a marriage, but I've never done it - so I don't have that experience.

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Answered at 1:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 by: missanc
    Not. I breastfed and would get up with my son, feed him, and put him back in his crib. All 4 of my kids have slept in their cribs from the night we came home from the hospital and have been sleeping through the night (8 plus hours) by 2 months.

Couldn't have said it better!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I have always believed in the family bed. When I had my twins I breast feed them, having them sleep with me made it so much easier. My twins are now 5 years old and yes they still sleep with me I find nothing wrong with this at all. Sometimes my twins will start out sleeping in their own bed but always end up sleeping with my husband and myself. My husband will just go sleep in the twins room. As our sex life goes it's very active were just more creative there are many places to make love than in your bed. My husband and I also have teenage daughters who would climb into bed with us and they stopped on their own when they were about six. I have been married for 22 years!
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2010