My baby - girl is 5 days old and she has bloody discharge every time i change her diaper, is that normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no, call your ped IMMEDIATELY
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• NO way.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• actually it is common

"Your baby girl has external genitalia that should be gently cleansed with diaper changes. A normal mucousy vaginal discharge mixed with blood often occurs toward the end of the first week due to the withdrawal from the maternal hormones. The bloody discharge is brief, does not recur and should not alarm you." http://www.centrepediatrics.com/infant_content.html

Anonymous

• yes it is normal. my dd didnt have it, but i remember the doctors at the hospital telling me that white discharge or bloody discharge was ok. i think it is from the hormones that she was exposed to in the uterus. it will prpbably last a couple days and then go away. there isnt any need to wipe it out excessively. just wipe what is on the outside, and re-diaper. if concerned call your pediatrician. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• huh.. guess that is what I get for having a boy.. didn't know that!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• When my daughter was a newborn, she would have a little blood in her diaper. My doctor said that it was because of the withdrawal of maternal hormones. It's completely normal. You can gently wipe the genital area with a cotton ball dampened with saline. If you're worried, you can always call your doctor. I know what it's like to be a new mommy!!!

Good luck.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Agreed normal. Anonymous gave a great answer. We called the discharge diaper snot. Alarming at first but normal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Same here, it is totally normal. It is a reaction to all of mom's hormone's being dumped on baby at birth! My dd had it and it went away within a few days! Just change diaper like normal and ensure removal of all yucky stuff!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Yes it is normal it only happened once but I knew that it was possible. I would say if it is alot(more the a streak on the wipe) and lasts more then a few days(at most a week) then I would call the Dr.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• normal. inless it continues or gets worse. some female babies also have milk in their breast from hormones
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2010