Hi! I have two breastfeeding questions?

My son is 4 weeks old and he only eats for 20 minutes at a time. Currently I am feeding him only on one breast for the entire time and then I do nothing with my other breast. Is this ok or should I let him eat for 10 minutes on one and then 10 minutes on the other? I'm worried that my other breast will dry out due to the fact that it goes 6 hours without anything being done to it.

Also with my other children I remember my breasts feeling fuller (but they also ate for a longer time) then with this child so I am kinda worried about my breast milk drying up. Is the best way to increase milk supply to pump?

Thanks for any information!!!!!!

smj1394

Asked by smj1394 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should let him nurse one breast empty so he gets the fat rich hind milk. If you are concerned about supply, you could always pump the other.

As far as feeling "full" that does typically go away, but feeling full is not an idication of your suppply
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• He goes 6 hours without nursing? I'm confused...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• This is what worked for me, when I had supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• After 30 minutes you can offer the other side if he is still hungry, Otherwise offer the other side at the next feed. You could also pump one side as he feeds so you have milk in reserve for a rainy day..
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Nurse on demand: offer one side until baby unlatches, then offer the other side. To boost hindmilk getting into baby, nurse on the same side for three hours (or feedings), then switch. This and drinking lots of water are really the easiest ways to boost supply. Fullness and pump output are not good ways to guage supply. The best measure for adequate supply is 6-8 wet OR dirty diapers in a 24 hour period. That or more and the baby is getting enough. As someone who pumps every day for when I work, don't do it unless the baby will be separated from you. It's not fun, and the pump is nowhere near as good at extracting milk as the baby. Nursing on demand, even twenty minutes after they just finished if they want it, is the absolute best and easiest way to boost supply. The baby will tell your body how much to produce by how much/often they eat: baby eats more, body makes more.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• 20 minutes on one side if FINE. Next feeding, use the other side. What's this six hours between though?

You WANT the full feeling to go away...that means supply has regulated properly. The full feeling is NOT a good thing so look for it to disappear.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• When I first started breastfeeding my daughter I could only get her to eat on one side as well. I didn't have a problem with it. I would just rotate and feed her from the other side on the next feeding. I was also feeding her every 2 hours though. When she was around 4 weeks or 5 weeks, I got her to eat from both sides in one sitting. Since then (she is now 16 weeks) she only eats for about 10 mins on each side and can usually go 2.5 to 3 hours in between feedings. I know some women feel like they have to nurse their baby for an hour. That is really not practical and at that point your baby is just sucking on you and not actually eating.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think the whole 6 hours is the time between when the breast was last used to used now kind of thing. Like if she feed on the left side at 2 but didn't feed again on the left side until 8 even though the baby ate on the right side in between those times.

I hope that makes sense for you girls.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 3:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I just let my daughter do a few minutes on each side, and she gradually worked her way up to feeding longer on both boobs. I just let her appetite be the judge. I didn't worry about her getting the hindmilk, she was obviously getting enough, I had a very chubby baby!! I would just do what works for you, but I don't think your other boob will dry up, from not using it every time, you just have to get your body used to the same system. And I pumped about 22 ounces a day as well as feeding her whenever she wanted it. I found that pumping more often didn't get me more, but pumping for longer at a time helped increase my milk.
    december911

Answer by december911 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2010