Anyone ever been diagnosed with an ulcer?

My 19 yr old daughter woke up one morning in mid Nov with stomach pains. After they didn't go a way she went to the Dr. They did tests and said gall bladder and liver and bloodwork was fine. Over the next month she was on 2 different kinds of meds. Neither helped. She went to the ER on Christmas after throwing up blood. All they did was bloodwork (fine) and tell her to see a gastroenterologist. Last week we did and she is to be scoped on Thursday. In the meantime she was told to take prilosec (not helping) There is no obvious reason she should have an ulcer but they mentioned it. She isn't stressed. Doesn't drink, coffee, alcohol or sodas. Her dad gets heartburn a couple of times a week but there is no other gastro problems in the family. I'm worried about what they might find. I'm hoping for an ulcer because I can't think of anything else but stomach cancer. I know, I am overreacting.
Can anyone tell me their story

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Health

• I had an ulcer when I was younger and was in horrible pain, never threw up but I am also not someone that throws up very easily at all. What meds was she on? Is she eating? The big thing when I had my ulcer is that I couldn't eat anything, literally, or I woul dhave horrific stomach pains.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Some ulcers are caused by bacteria and not stress. Have them check her for H. pylori, it can also cause ulcers.. Its amazing how vets have been curing ulcers for years with penicillin but Dr want to give proton pump inhibitors, or antacids for humans.. If it is H. pylori she will be on a round of meds and antibiotics. Hope they find out what is going on and its nothing serious. Try and stay calm until then !!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Yes, I have an ulcer. Mine is on my esophogus, and it is due to acid reflux. I take an rx medicine and watch the diet-- some foods that will irriate my ulcer is chocolate, coffee/caffiene, garlic, tomatoes, peppermint, spicy foods...
    Anonymous