I didn't eat a lot of fruit/veggies but now I am trying to eat more and have tripled the amount I eat daily, can that cause stomach/digestive issues?

I am trying to eat healthy buy following the guidelines for daily fruit and veggie intake and have upped the amount but I have been having gas and stomach issues now. Will it go away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Totally normal. Your body is adjusting and "detoxing". If the gas is really bothersome, try an over the counter gas medicine. Beano is a good one I've heard. You take it before you eat to prevent gas. But they have lots of others for after you eat too. Some foods, particularly veggies, just cause some people to be gassy. That part might not go away completely even after your body adjusts. try to pay close attention to which food you eat that make you feel gassy. Then either avoid those ones, or take the Beano (or similar product).
    Things should start to even out soon though. Don't get discouraged! You're doing a good thing for your body!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Yes, but your body will adjust.
    Anonymous

• yes, your body will adjust to eating healthier foods. Be sure to eat at least three different colors of fruits and vegetables a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Yes, your body has to get used to the increase in fiber. It should get better in a couple of weeks. Make sure to drink lots of water to help the process.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2010