Controversial question, but I want to know, why do so many people adopt children from other countries? I especially see so many Caucasian couples adopting children of other races. Why not adopt the children that are already living in the US that need a home and just sponsor children from other countries?

If this is the wrong category, please let me know.

Please don't be nasty or hasty with the responses. I just saw a couple that went to Haiti to get their child they were adopting. And it unnerving to see "Wednesday" child on tv and know that there are so many children in the US that need good homes. But to have them overlooked just so you can say that you adopted a child from other country... I'd like to understand why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Adoption

• i don't get it either, you see brad and angelina go and adopt from random countries and everyone thinks it's the greatest thing ever, but why not focus on our country, why not adopt needy children from here?
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i think ur absolutly right!!!! lol like they may have a worse time in the orphange there in there country n most arent even an orphan they have moms n dads it jus they cant afford them so they ask for ur help lol gotta watch out for tht!! mayb get all the amercans adopted n then bring the others children from those countrys to live in teh oprphan?? idk this is a good question tho!
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think it's because it's so much easier to adopt out of the country than from the U.S.It takes years to adopt in the U.S.
    Lethal

Answer by Lethal at 2:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Because even with our broken foster care system it's still MILES ahead of other countries. My sister adopted my neice from China. When her DD came home she was 11 months old. She spent her 11 months either alone in a crib or tied (YES TIED) into a chair for hours on end, with no diaper, just a hole in the chair for the waste to fall through. So yes, she adopted from an orphanage in China versus adopting an american child that was already in a foster home. Also, parents who fear the birth parents may change their mind may adopt overseas where that isn't an option. In the end, who cares? We are all of the human race and a baby saved is a baby saved.
    Anonymous

• Because it's much easier and cheaper and faster to adopt from other countries.
    Anonymous

• 'overlooked?' not at all. There are many reasons why people adopt the way they do, if they can adopt at all. For some it may be that they thought that it would be easier to adopt from another country. Considering that China now considers Body mass index as a factor, it's not easy.
    Adoption isn't easy- I myself have pretty much given up on the idea. The fact that children need good homes is not the deciding factor. I know the powers that be need to be careful as to who can adopt and who can't, but it's not a case of people adopting from other countries just because it's trendy.
    It's a very personal choice that the adoptive parents have to make. I have a friend who is trying to adopt out of the system, she even wants a older child, and still the process is taking years.
    So I don't have a definate answer as to why, but in either case I like to think that these kids are going to people that love them.
    Anonymous

• I wonder the same thing. It's not that I think children from other countries don't deserve good homes, but so do the kids here in the US. I tend to think that it has to do with how other countries treat orphaned kids. Although the US could use a lot of work in this area, we are already a lot better than most countries. We don't look down upon and stereotype nearly as much. I'm sure a lot of families here feel that they could provide a much better future here than these kids would have in their own country. I'm not sure why it's mostly Caucasian couples. Maybe that has to do with cultural differences? Adoption is more widely accepted in the caucasian culture? I don't know.. just a theory.
    Also, and I don't know how true it is, but I think it's easier and less costly to adopt from other countries. I've heard can be very hard and expensive here in the US. Some couples just don't have any other option but want a baby.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I can think of a couple of reasons why people may adopt internationally. First, as someone suggested, there is a fear that a birth parent will change his/her mind (can't happen internationally). Second, there is a perception that adopting internationally is cheaper. GIving some fo the posts I've seen lately, this isn't always the case. Third, when adopting internationally there is a "line" (i.e. your chosen based on when you entered a program) whereas domestically your typically chosen by the birth mother and waiting time doesn't come in to play. You may wait 1 day or you may wait for years.. If you do it privately, you may never be matched (this is less of an issue if you go through an agency). Lastly, many of the kids in our foster care system aren't available for adoption for years because of the desire to try to reunite the birth families making it harder to adopt an infant/toddler.. (FYI, we adopted domestically)
    Anonymous

• I actually asked a woman that who had adopted a child from Russia, she said she never wanted to worry that the child's birth parents would look for or find the child. I found this disturbing and selfish, but I have never adpoted so who am I to judge. I had often wondered the same thing too though.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 2:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• To many people are wanting to adopt just infants or toddlers. This leaves us with older children, sibling groups, disabilities, etc to find homes for. If you're working with social services it usually does not take a long time once classes are completed unless you want infants/toddlers. Many people also think that when you adopt overseas you dont have a child that has all the abuse issues to deal with that many US kids have.

When we adopted our 3 daughters it didn't cost much at all but we did it thru childrens services which ended up paying for almost everything. I think our total out of pocket was less then $1,000. I doubt that you can adopt from overseas for that amount.

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2010