hand held video games

I don't anything about these things like Nintendo etc, so I need help/opinions. We are thinking about getting one for our nearly 6year old son. What's good, what's not??
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Nintendo DS is a good one. There are more games for young kids on there. PSP is also another good one but there are more shooting games on that.
    Anonymous

• Books are better

Answer by rkoloms at 2:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Rkoloms that is not what she was asking. There are MANY education video games now.

I would say the Nintendo DS. Good luck.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• my girls share a nintendo DS (its mine really) they enjoy it, and there are some cool educational games.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My 6yo daughter has a Nintendo DS. There is a really great game that you can get called "My Virtual Tutor". You buy the game specific to their age group and subject. DD has the Reading game for Kg-1st grade.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 3:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• definately a DS he can take it with him but remember to buy a protector case and extra charger,boys r hard on everything!
    My 8yr old has been to the game stop twice,2 case changes,1 packing slip- sent back while still on warrenty because of the glass on top breaking,oh almost forgot lost the little pen so that was another replacement part,other than that he loves it!
    ummyasir1622

Answer by ummyasir1622 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• u know not enough ppl buy the leapsters,if your looking for educational games that r fun get a leapster and they're nowhere near as exspensive as th DS or Wii
    ummyasir1622

Answer by ummyasir1622 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i was going to say.....i would not recommend the DS. there are leapsters and things like that available that are more educational. my SD has a DSi that her mother got her for christmas. she lost the charger for over a week already and she is 9. She had a DS hand-me down before that and lost it on several occassions. i just think that they are so expensive for the responsibility level of some kids. and i would rather use educational items for my kids. so i recommend the leapster type games as well.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Thanks for all the help! Just as a side note,we do have LOTS of books, puzzles etc. This is not something he would have free access to but would have to "earn" time to play on it.
    finnie

Answer by finnie at 12:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• my kids have both a ds and a leapster and its really helped him in school most of the leapster games you have to answer math or spelling questions to go on to the next area so i think that would be great for him to have and check the pond shops or game stops in your area for a ds because they do cost a lot that way if anything happens u dont have a whole lot of money in it
    momto3brats

Answer by momto3brats at 10:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2010