has anyone actually lose there baby while they were sleeping?

im sooooo paranoid of my son dying over night i know its horrible thing to think but it takes over my mind .. what the chance of him not breathing anymore when hes sleeping? cuz sometimes ill look at him when hes sleeping and he gets kinda like a white porclain look to him and i look at his belly moving and if it isnt i put my hands on it ... im soo paranoid..

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was this way with my first!
    If he's not already rolling and lifting his head and such, make sure you put him to sleep on his back with a small blanket on top of him. Don't put more than one in the crib and don't put extra stuff like stuffed animals and such in there.
    He should be fine :)
    Anonymous

• Its normal to be scared! I was like that too. We purchased the Monitor that sounds an alarm if it doesn't feel them moving. It made me feel a lot better. They did a new study that says they should sleep with a pacifier, and a fan on. The sucking makes them not go into too deep of a sleep, and the noise from the fan help as well. Plus make sure that he is not too over dressed. If he is too warm it puts him into a deeper sleep. My son is almost two and I still go into his room and make sure he is breathing. Its something that you will always do.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• You're normal!

SIDS *is* something to be concerned about...but...

If you're breastfeeding you've automatically reduced the risk of SIDS.

If you cosleep PROPERLY you also reduce that risk.

Even without those things...your odds are SOOOOO small. You both have a greater risk of getting killed in a car accident. Or of having a plane fall on your house. Or a flood. Or an earthquake. Or..or...

Just being on this Earth is a risk. Don't let that stop you from LIVING.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Its very normal to feel this way! I am pregnant with our 2nd and in Sept a good friend of mine lost her son at 5 months durring a nap... Its not as common any more... But there is still a risk. We are buying a motion monitor. They beep after 10 sec or so of no movement. You could always invest in one... We are. But they do not protect against SIDS... They say that right one the box... Good Luck
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 2:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I always checked my kids throughout the night because SIDS is so common. Heck, they are 4 and 2 and I still check them from time to time! The percentage chance of him dieing in his sleep increases if he sleeps on his stomache or with lots of things around him that he could suffocate on. If you ever do find occurences where he may stop breathing contact a doctor ASAP and they can issue a sleep apnea machine which will notify you if he stops breathing at any point.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i was so nervous too. my daughter was sleeping in a bassinet in our room for the first couple months since we were remodeling her bedroom. Every night before I could fall asleep, i had to just lay there and wait to hear her whimper or sigh. That was my cue that she was ok and I could now fall asleep. Worry does nothing for you but makes you tired and irritable, not the best for being able to take care of baby. Do all the right things and trust that you are a good mom and he will wake each morning with a grin on his face.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 2:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Quoting "gdiamante" "If you cosleep PROPERLY you also reduce that risk." Do not co-sleep. I know she is saying properly but more infants die of SIDS while co-sleeping then if they are in their own bed.

Anonymous

• i did the same thing, my hubby lost a daughter 16yrs ago to sids. my baby always slept with me and still does.that way i was able to have my arm around her and check her through out the nite.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Anonymous that is not true. Cosleeping is not a SIDS risk. SIDS was known formerly as crib death. Outside of the usa cosleeping is the norm and Sids extremely low or non existant.

Suffocation due to improper cosleeping bed or crib set up is NOT sids.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• "more infants die of SIDS while co-sleeping then if they are in their own bed." WRONG there is NO evidence to suggest this. If you have a link to a scientific study that shows this, I'd like to see it! In countries with very high co-sleeping rates, such as Japan, the number of SIDS deaths is much lower.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2010