Has anyone ever taken their child for a behavior evaluation? What did you tell your child?

Long story short, DD has had some troubling behaviors and we have an appt. to have her behavior evaluated. She has an older bio sibling with Asperger's and ADHD, so I'd like to know if we're dealing with that and what strategies may be helpful.

My question is for anyone who has done this - how do I explain to DD that we'll be seeing a doctor when she's not sick? I don't want to make her feel ashamed or singled out. Any ideas? She is five.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 2:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't lie to the kid especially if she is old enough to realize her behavior and how it affects herself and those around her even if it's after the fact. Let her know that her behavior is something you would like to make sure is not something that she might need more help for. Let her know the visit is something to help her not hurt her that it will help her better understand why she does or reacts the way she does. Sit down with her and ask her if she likes her not so good behavior and ask her how she feels inside when it happens. Ask her if she would like you to help her be able to deal with it better so she doesn't feel so mixed up inside. My MD describes it as a tornado inside her and she wanted me to help her find out how to not let it get so big. So I did and she is happy about that. Let her help you by getting her to understand this is probably something she would like help with too.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 9:01 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The first thing that came to mind for me is when we had to take my daughter for her Kindergarten physical. She had the same concerns about seeing the doctor when she wasn't sick. We told her that sometimes we (adults too) have to go to the doctor so he/she can looks us over and make sure we're healthy, growing properly, etc... Maybe you could call the doctors office to see what types of tests they're going to perform, then talk with your child before the appointment about what to expect.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 3:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• You are just going to go visit the doctor and talk to him because you have not seen him in a while. Maybe you can go wish him/her a "Happy New Year".
    Anonymous

• You can call it a "Wellness Visit" like Medicaid requires once a year for foster children. If they are sick, it doesn't count as a "Wellness Visit" and we have to reschedule. It's to show that you are healthy. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• medicaid requires wellness visits for all children. my SKs have secondary medicaid and have to go for a physical once a year.

and i would just say its a check up. or even just say that this doctor just wants to talk to you for a little bit. i wouldn't make a big deal out of it. she may not even ask anything about it. my SS might ask, but would be easily made happy with a simple response. he and his sister have asthma so they go to see a respiratory therapist every few months.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2010