Money saving wedding tips please...

We are on a VERY strict budget.
We are already planning for it to be at our local church so no rental for a church or reception hall. Any other helpful hints?
We have no dress, tux, shoes, flowers, invites, etc.
HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Well as far as the food goes my dad and step-mom when they got married made their own food. We had spaghetti with meatballs. There is also if you like KFC they have a huge chicken thing you can get there that shouldn't cost to much. And at the store they have the trays that you can put it in to keep it all warm. Flowers there is not much that you can cut the price on. Unless you use fake flowers for your center pieces at the tables and pay only for the bouquets. WIth the invites there is a website that will send out invites. My mom used that. Or you could try making some yourself. You can get nice wedding dresses at Davids Bridal for only 100 if you are willing to do that. Also if you dont want to buy a new dress you can try craigs list. I know a few people who have used that or ebay. You will have to look around for the tux rental But that shouldnt be much. And the shoes should not be hard to find cheep. Congrats!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If you need any more ideas then let me know and ill see what i can come up with.
    Shelii

• Check out some of the older customs. Used to be brides could wear whatever color and whatever type of dress they wanted. Receptions were pot luck style and in personal locations. Some larger bridal places like David's Bridal have wedding dresses starting at $100 and tuxes you can get those pretty decently and depending on the amount of male attendants you have the groom can get his free and the ladies can pick their own dresses in the color you want them in. Weddings don't have to be expensive to be nice, make sure not to think of it as making it nice for everyone else but special for you and your man. one thing though, some churches don't require a fee for the services but donations toward the church are encouraged. Have you checked out www.knot.com ? You can also google or BING weddings on a budget and so on.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 3:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My SIL got a dress from JCPenney's. It was beautiful. That is were my sisters got there bridemaids dress. Ask a family member to take pictures. My Aunt makes cakes she made ours a a present from her. I also made my own flower pieces, vail and head piece.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Oh FYI, when I got married I went to DB's and got my $1500 wedding dress on sale for $250. That was a great deal and it was gorgeous! Not outdated at all.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 3:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• send evites.. get everones email..then just send a few toolder people who dont have email..and just grab a bag or two of hersheys kisses and bag them in celaphane with a cute bow for a favor..i made my own bouchets ..at walmart..they have the holder with the foam in it and just baught a few fake flowers..plus its been 4 years and it hasnt wilted yet..it was so cheap..or heck you dont even need the holder just get a few fakes and tape them with floral tape and a bow... if you need more just email me what you need and ill try and help with ideas
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Keep it small. We invited 50 people. Borrow a relative's dress or buy a pretty formal dress, even from consignment. It can be a short dress. The men don't have to wear tuxes, they can wear suits, and that is something they'll be able to wear again later. Have only one attendant each. If you have a sit down meal, use the bridesmaids bouquets, and yours, as the table centerpieces.

Answer by Bmat at 3:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• You can probably get a student photographer who will do the pics very well for very cheap.

Can you trade for services? Do you have any skills that the flower shop might be interested in? Could you watch kids or write websites for some of the local small business owners?

You can buy wedding gowns for under $100 on some of the wedding warehouse websites. Very nice ones.

Can you grow your flowers yourself? Does anyone in your family have a flower garden to donate? Maybe not the bridal bouquet, but the accent flowers and decorations.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• there was a wedding episode on our news today, they featured a bakery with a budget cake! what struck me the most was the cost of wedding dresses. the salon owner suggested getting a dress that would wow everyone, one that they would remember forever....i used to cater at weddings and have been to a few myself...i have never seen a bride and not thought wow! but i don't recall any one dress...out of at least 100! i wouldn't put a lot into a dress.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2010