How do I know if I am giving my 11 and a half month old too much milk?

Travis Kent is almost one and we started him on milk last week and he didn't really take to the taste but this week it is almost like he can't get enough of the milk. He still eats just as much for his meals but he actually perfers milk to juice is that bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it isn't bad. They need milk and lots of it. If he wants it then give it to him. = ) I'd say my kids drink around 4 or more glasses a day of milk and the same in juice... so he is just drinking more milk than juice. I don't see where it could hurt him.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't even be giving a child that age juice. It's empty calories. Juice is really no better than soda.
    At that age the milk is fine. Just make sure he eats an adequate amount of solid foods.
    Anonymous

• He should not have any juice, except as an occasional treat. He should be having al least as much water as milk. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Anon there is nothing wrong with giving a young child juice. I had to give my son juice when he was only 2 months. I wouldnt only give him juice there are things that he needs from the milk but you are acting like juice is bad for a child. And by the way juice is NOTHING like soda.
    Anonymous

• I do both with my 11.5 month old son! He loves milk!! we do the juice with snack to help with his pooping... And gerber splashers too... He drinks ALL day long!! Too much milk is not bad!! But for my son it stops him up so we need more than that :o) He loves the splashers (water with a hint of juice)...
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 3:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• children NEVER need dairy products. if your diet is adequate then there is no "they need calcium" excuse. it takes almost as much calcium as is in the milk, to process the ridiculous amounts of protein that it contains.

your kid, feed him what you want. we do not use dairy. we like h2o.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• whole milk at age 12months is the usual way to do it. I would not recommend juice it is a lot of sugar. if he has juice be sure to delute it with water. my 15 month ols just started getting juice. juice is a great way to transition to a cup. give milk in a bottle and juice in a cup until you cut out the bottle, its a nice way to do it i have found.as long as he is still eating his meals i wouldnt worry too much. :)
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 3:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• There is such a thing as too much milk. It has a LOT of fat! Babies need some fat, but they shouldn't be drinking more than 16-20 ounces day of milk. There's nothing wrong with a child learning to drink water.

Answer by missanc at 5:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I would limit the milk to 16oz's a day at the most. If your lo drinks too much milk, it can prevent the absorption of iron, therefore contributing to anemia. My son is anemic, and his ped asked about his milk intake and explained why there is such a thing as too much. Patrick now gets milk with lunch and dinner, juice with breakfast, and water the rest of the day.
    mrs3stan

Answer by mrs3stan at 5:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• It's best to limit the amount of cow's milk that your child receives to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day, since too much cow's milk in a child's diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and may decrease the child's desire for other foods.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2010