Does anyone not like the 'baby stage?'

I have to be honest, I much prefer children when they are 3,4, 5 and can talk, understand, and do fun things. I'm not a 'baby' person and cannot wait until mine grows up a little (she's only 10 mos.) Am I alone in this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your not alone and don't let anyone guilt you into thinking you are. :)

I love my kids. I have cherished every single minute of them. I enjoyed snuggling with them and all that good stuff. BUT, frankly, there are ages and stages I prefer over others and those first months don't make the top of my list. While I wouldn't have given up those first months with my kids, I don't see someone else's infant and finding myself wishing I could go back to that stage. I don't see babies and find myself thinking back with longing to the days mine were little or wishing I had more at home so I could do it all over. I have never been the type to see an infant and have to hold him or her. I don't get that pull. I am much more excited about sitting with a toddler and listening to them ramble on about their take on the world at large. I much prefer sitting with my grade-school kids and interacting with them. It's challenging but it's great.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I wish someone could come and take my children and return them when they are 6 months old. For me, the first six months is the absolute hardest of all. Both my kids were colicy and high needs...yuck!!!
    Anonymous

• I know my dh feels this way. We have two boys who are a ton of fun, they are 2 and 3. We also have a 5 month old dd. When she was born someone ask my dh how he likes having a daughter. He said, well, she can't do anything yet so I will let you know in a year or so. I felt that way with my first but after that, when there was two and then three, it is nice having one that can't move for awhile while getting into the routine of having another.
    Anonymous

• I guess I don't find babies dull. Exhausting yes. But they do understand so much more than people give them credit for. I enjoy watching infants trying to focus on objects, initiating smiles, and watch them really concentrate on grabbing something. But then, I carry my baby around everywhere or have her right in the room with me while I talk to her about what I'm doing. As I talk she might smile at a sound and I'll repeat the word or sound to please her. If she looks at something intently I'll interact with her about it. It's not that I don't prefer the wonder of older children, I just find things to enjoy in the younger ones.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I like the worm stage at first. For like the first month. Then I am ready for them to turn one, because that's when they're a lot of fun. I like to watch them grow, learn and ineract, but really I like the toddler stages over the worm stages.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I love, love, love the baby stage! Mine's 2 now, and I need a replacement! My friend loves 2 and up age group. So everyone is different.
    Anonymous

• I liked it a lot better when I didn't have 3 older children. I EBF so when its just us at home its hard. I will miss having tiny babies one day but right now the older she gets the happier I will be.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010