Has anyone ever had a lab error?

I had an ultrasound and everything looks just fine. Yesterday I had an hcg done at 11 am, 18 dpo that show a level of 5739 and then 12 hours later the ER did another one and the result was 3082? Can it drop that fast. The 5739 was way too high for this point in my pregnancy. No bleeding and ultrasound looked good. The tests were done at different labs. Could this have made the difference? Doctor did not seem too concerned. Any input?

Thanks ladies :)

littlebehr1

Asked by littlebehr1 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i believe there are two types of blood tests they can do--quantitative and qualitative. that may be why there was a difference in the numbers. i'm not entirely sure though. if the doc says it looks alright then believe that. when something goes wrong there very little that can be done at that point, if anything at all so if a miscarriage is what is happening you just kinda have to roll with the punches.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• if the dr dont seem worried about it everything should be fine
    Anonymous

• Did the ultrasound look good AFTER the last hcg was taken?
    They would not let me go to 2 different labs when having my levels checked because there was too big of a chance for error as they put it. I would want another HGC quant done to get an accurate comparison, but they say past 2000, an ultrasound is the best way to know what's going on with baby. I'd still want a second set done tho.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2010