Is vaginal bleeding with some clotting normal at 4 weeks postpartum??

Had baby almost 4weeks ago. Had an episiotomy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well if you stopped bleeding and just started up again. It means you start your period. Yes some clotting it normal with periods especialy after children. If you are still bleeding and have clotting I would talk to your Dr.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If the bleeding and clots are any heavier than it was before, then I'd call your dr.

After my first dd, I bled quite a bit and passed several fairly large clots at the hospital. When I was sent home, they warned me to call my dr/midwife's office if I passed a clot any larger than a nickel at any time, or if the bleeding got any heavier than it was the day I was discharged from the hospital. I think I bled for about 5 1/2 weeks.
    Anonymous

• You can bleed up to six weeks postpartum. The flow will fluctuate and can go from heavy to a dribble within a day. It's normal. Just make sure the blood clots aren't bigger then a ping pong ball. If that's the case, then call your OB.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I bled for 2 months after my delivery. I also was on the birth control pill with no estrogen in it. They say some women can bleed with that. I also had some clotting, but I think if it is smaller pieces that is normal.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2010