How racist is the Tea Party Movement?

Black Conservatives Take Lead Role in Tea Party Movement
Though the tea party movement has attracted criticism for its supposed lack of diversity, minority activists who are involved say the movement has little to do with race, and that it is attracting a more diverse crowd every day.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/19/black-conservatives-lead-role-tea-party-movement/

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 3:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• While I am sure there are racists in the Tea Party I don't think the movement itself is racist. My only question is why they didn't mind when Bush & Reps were spending like crazy. Yes, I know Obamas spending is worse but I have been bitching about govt spending and deficits for a few years now.

I think calling those who oppose Obama racist, is like calling those who opposed Bush traitors. It's a way to marginalize the opposition so one doesn't have to talk about their concerns like an adult.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Some good points friday. I did bitch about Bush's spending.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• The tea party movement has nothing to do with race and everything to do with bad policies and the ever growing government. People are trying to discredit the movement by calling it racist instead of calling it what it really is, a movement to try to wake people up to the corruption in the government. I think it's great to see black and African-Americans involved in the movement. I hope to see more become involved as the movement grows.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 3:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Friday, I bitched when Bush's spending became outrageous. Some of his policies upset me and I let people know. I agree, there are probably people in the movement that are racist, but it's unfair to judge an entire movement on a couple of idiots.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 3:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think that the TEA parties became a flashpoint for all kinds of people who are not happy with the government. At the TEA parties I've covered, I've seen signs against illegal immigration, abortion, health care, taxes...all kind of issues in one loud shoutfest. And a mostly white one, but I think that reflects the area's population more than anything else.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

This exactly.
    Anonymous

• Tea Parties have absolutely NOTHING to do with race. You could be polka-dotted, for all anyone cares. They are for the people who are being ignored by their "employees" in DC.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Though the tea party movement has attracted criticism for its supposed lack of diversity, minority activists who are involved say the movement has little to do with race, and that it is attracting a more diverse crowd every day.

***
    Do you mean to tell me that major television networks and other liberal mainstream media were conveniently omitting this fact from the get go?! LOL!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Racist or not, it's loud & ignorant.
    Anonymous

• Well ill be derned Lorikeet...who knew? lol

Yes some have been involved with the tea parties from the start..but all you ever heard from some jackasses was implications that it was all white supremacy folks lol...some of the ladies on here made those comments
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2010