getting rid of the bottle

any suggestions? she is 15 months and only has it for a nap and for bed...but i know its time to say goodbye....but how? with my first it was so easy, but she needs it to fall asleep

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was soo nervous to switch my son from bottle to a sippy, because I knew it was a comfort to him. However, one day I just gave him a Sippy and he took to it. He tried to regress that next night, because his sister was using his bottles. However, I just stuck to my guns and gave him the sippy. He has been doing well ever since.

Just take it away. It's that simple. Cold turkey.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• just take them away. give her a sippy for comfort. thats what we did for our son. hes doing great and LOVES the sippy. it took him maybe 6 hours to realize we werent gonna give the bottle back. then he was all sippy all the time!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Just cut it cold turkey!! Give a sippy before bed and nap. It will be hard but better now
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 4:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i wouldnt push it. i know doctors always say get rid of the bottle at one... but why? the only real reason is teeth. at 14months i was still giving my dd a bottle before a nap and bed bc it helped her fall asleep. i also made sure i was brushing her teeth twice a day. and she would only use a sippy cup for other things. eventually she accepted the sippy cup before a nap. i never even pushed it. she was just use to drinking from a cup. and now that she is 18 months old i still give her a bottle at night. and i put formula in it. i know this isnt necessary, but i figure the extra nutrients in it will be good for her, and it soothes her. there are nights when she doesnt even want a bottle. but im not about to force her not to have one. in my opinion, as long as your child is capable of drinking from a sippy cup throughout the day, then dont worry about it. i plan on not having any bottle by the time she is 2. GL!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• thanks all!
    Anonymous

• With us, we used a cup during the day anyways (we love the gerber graduates ones!) and just stopped the night bottle cold turkey. We haven't had any problems since! He's almost 3 now!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Please let me know if anything works because my DD drinks fine from a cup but won't take milk from it. She started to during the day at daycare and Grandma's but still won't drink it for me. She went 2 hours one morning with nothing to drink because all I gave her was milk in a cup. So please any advice would help.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 12:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• we just took it away one day, just gave him the cup instead and he did fine, he was about 15 months then.
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 2:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2010