Can you go to the gym if you have high blood pressure?

Im 34 and my BP has been about 142 over 100. I am scheduled for a physical next week and check everything out but in the meantime can I go to the gym to do the treadmill? A friend told me it didnt sound like I should, but I wasnt sure. I think I will skip it in case, but just trying to find out if anyone knows.

Thanks

stephsmom05

Asked by stephsmom05 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Health

• I have high blood pressure and I brought it down by just walking...for me, the treadmill and the gym...idk I'd feel pressured or something there but that's just me..I like just walking out my door and walking until I feel tired, it makes me feel good to be outside and I can think more clearly out in the open air...in a gym I find myself looking around at other people or feeling self conscious about my performance and my thoughts don't flow freely in there...maybe I'm just weird but gyms stress me out Id rather be out on my own. Do what makes you happy, there is nothing dangerous about having high blood pressure and getting on a treadmill if you GO AT YOUR OWN PACE, listen to your body, stop and rest if you're tired, and keep hydrated! Good luck to you hun.
    Anonymous

• I would wait till you see the doctor.
    Anonymous

• I would look into natural means of lowering your blood pressure. I'm not a physician , but I thought that exercise always helps, but you need to be restoring nutrients to your body, getting the best adequate rest, and drink enough quality water. I am a wellness consultant and I know of several way's to lower blood pressure, one being a new technology that is actually in a bone health product developed by a leading physician and Toxicologist. Interesting how certain body systems are so tightly related. You are welcome to browse my website. There are quite a few things that we have that would help, The entire wellness home being the main thing. www.nikken.com/1heart1mind. Feel free to ask me any other questions. I have more extensive Seminars and research articles I can send you to.
    1heart1mind

Answer by 1heart1mind at 5:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2010