15 year old son babysitting

my son is 15 years old. in november ours lives changed some and i had to start working 11-7am as a CNA. i chose 11-7 because i need him to watch his 5 year old sister whos not yet in kindergarten, and felt if she was sleeping this was the safest and least disruptive to his life as possible...looking for any thoughts really hes a straight A student and very responsible but cant seem to shake off neigh sayers...feeling guilty and looking for reassurance i guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would make darn sure that you get him a CPR/First Aid training
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• This is how I see it .. You are his mother, you know him better then anyone else. I personally see nothing wrong with it. Your child is old enough to know what to do in an emergency, and your youngest is old enough to pretty much take care of most things on her own. In this type of situation I would think that it would be okay. Like you said, your son is respsonsible, so you knwo better then anyone whether he can handle this or not.

The only situation where I wouldn't think it was a good idea is if the youngest was younger then 4 years old. The younger the child gets, the more responsibility is put onto the older child. I don't think any 15 year old should hold that much responsibility that comes with babysitting a child younger then four.

It is ultimately between you and your oldest. If you are comfortable with it and know that he will do a good job. Then go for it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• you do what you have to do- make sure that you have a plan B, a neighbor that would call and check in if something seemed off, or that could be reached and there instantly in case of an emergency. yes, its the easiest and safest hours you could be working and leave them alone... like I said, make sure there is a plan b, thats all.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If he is responsible then I think you just have to put your trust in him- let him know how much you believe in him and how important it is for you to trust him and for him to help out. Does he agree that this is the best shift for you? Is he comfortable being home alone? Other than CPR training I would go over scenarios with him- what if his sister woke in the night from a nightmare, or with vomitting or a fever- how would he handle that? Best to talk it out now rather than try to act if it happens. What would he do if someone came to the door in the middle of the night claiming car trouble? Who can he go to in an emergency, is there a trustworthy neighbor he can call or someone else who can get there in a hurry if needed? I think this is one of those times where you do what you have to do, you should prepare for the worst just in case, and then hope for the best. Also, show your son your appreciation for his help. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i did get him first aid and cpr certified and i live 21 seconds from my work...which was no small feat! thank u soooo much.
    Anonymous

• I think that this sounds like a great arrangement.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I think that sounds like a good arrangement. 15 is plenty old enough to do so.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I would probably also test his waking up abilities, some night you are off make the smoke detector go off and make sure it wakes him up, another time have your little one wake him if she is up earlier than he is. Sounds like the best arrangement for your family, and that it was well planned out with the 15 yo's input. If people are bashing you for it, they would probably also be bashing if the little one was in daycare for you to work days, some people just live to judge- ignore them.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i know they are siblings, but a 15 year old boy watching a young girl?? just a thought. you know your son...but who really knows a 15 years old boy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I don't see a problem with it I mean they are gonig to eat dinner and go to bed and as long as he has his cpr/first aid training and a phone number just in case anything does happen then I don't see a problem with it now if it was all day long while you were at work while they were awake all day getting into stuff that to me would be a worse senerio. Goodluck.
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2010