Kindergarten girlfriend?

My 6 yo son has a girlfriend. My husband thinks it's fine. I want to tell him he's too young for girlfriends and he should only have friends.

Thoughts?

pat7879

Asked by pat7879 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This totally normal. They seem to go through this stage at 4 to 7 or so and then all of a sudden the other sex has cooties until jr. high. That is when I would tell him he is too young for girlfriends and jut have friends.
    Anonymous

• sorry, *just have friends
    Anonymous

• I dont think its a problem. I think its cute.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you. This is the mindset of the day, however. We start promoting male/female relationships and children never get to just enjoy the bliss of being a child. You can fight it and you can win, but it does take lots of effort and constant teaching. But if I were you, that's exactly what I would do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• He is still a too little to know what a girlfriend implies. When My oldest was in kindy he said my best friend was his girlfriend. He told everyone that she was his girl. lol Then when he was in first grade he "broke it off" with her because he liked someone else. The funny thing is when she started dating her husband, my son was put out that she replaced him. lol
    Kids are funny, they really don't understand the implications of girl/boyfriend relationships at that age. Now that my oldest is ten and is starting to like girls we make sure he knows he is too young for dating and girls.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I had a boyfriend in kindergarten.... it's not a big deal at all! We got made fun of ALL the time but were really good friends until I moved away.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you. It maybe "cute" but it starts a bad pattern and moves from 'cute' to sexual harrassment in later elementary school. Yes, I've seen it happen ladies, so I'm not talking out my ass.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I kind of feel the same way you do. I get irritated when people ask my daughter if she has a boyfriend. She's only 4 and in preschool! I'm sure we're overreacting though, it's not like they can sneak out and actually go on dates, lol
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• "Yes, I've seen it happen ladies. "

I guess it depends on the kids. We never pushed it or made more of it then it was. If you make it a big deal then it will be.
    My sister has a step daughter that is inappropriate sexual for her age of 6. She is kissing boys and actually sneaking off to do it. I blame it on the home environment when she is at her moms house. The mom and her husband are swingers and very open about sex and sexuality. So now the dd is always going on about boyfriends and getting married. Which is in no way appropriate. Her mom and stepdad actually encourage that behavior, by choosing boyfriends and future husbands for her. They are constantly joking about the "grandbabies" they will have from such matches. She is only SIX.

In our home with our child, we don't make a big deal about it. We did mention that he was not old enough for a girlfriend and left it at that. We didn't create a bad pattern, so it wasnt.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i would ask him what he and his gf do and what he thinks she is suposto do. also just keep watch on it and like someone else said will probly go away and be at the p[oint of "ewww cooties" evently
    kikyu

Answer by kikyu at 4:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2010