makeup as a sin

I asked about jewelry yesterday. Now how can people ever get from the bible that makeup is a sin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• here is the verse ive always seen used, but its out of context. if you read the entire chapter you will see that the "you" in the verse is Jerusalem.

Jeremiah 4:30 "And you, O desolate one, what do you mean that you dress in scarlet, that you adorn yourself with ornaments of gold, that you enlarge your eyes with paint? In vain you beautify yourself. Your lovers despise you; they seek your life."

but i think the idea behind it is more along this verse:
    1 Peter 3:3-4 "Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

i dont think this verse says make up is a sin, but that we should focus on our inner beauty more than an outward beauty.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I'm assuming the vanity angle
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Makeup is not a sin, making your self feel beautiful is not a sin. so if make up makes you feel beautiful you are not sinning
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 4:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Now how can people ever get from the bible that makeup is a sin?
    ---------
    It's not. The denomination I belong to frowns on the use of makeup but, I have never found a single thing in the Bible against its use.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• same reasons as the jewelry. It's all about VANITY And I don't remember off had what verse but there is a verse about "not painting yourself" which could be translated to makeup.
    Anonymous

• It has to do with the attitude of the heart... why are you doing these things and are they more important to you than God? If so then that is when it is sin.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• It all has to do with your reasons and your heart. God knows our hearts. I don't wear makeup to be vein - but wear it to make myself feel better about myself. But would I not leave the house if I didn't have any? Absolutely I would - That is where the line comes in to play.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Make up can be sinful if it is applied in a lustful way.I think hot red lips look sexual but a nude color like pink or peach is not.Lots of mascarra or clumps of it looks cheap and sexy but a little bit of it does not. Make up was first used by the egyptians,everyone is concerned about their looks even back then, but then maybe they used it to costumize not to pick up guys.Make up makes you look older and that's why I don't like seeing young girls with it on,it makes them look sleezy and sexy .Jewerly makes you look older too but red nail polish is the worst for sexyiness but pink or peach does not.
    Anonymous

• I think I'm going to paint my nails red tonight
    Anonymous

• red is such a pretty color, and goes so well with many skintones...too bad its so sexy!!! LOL!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2010