Does anyone else feel like the town you grew up in, or live in, is poisonous?

I'm from a relatively small city, but really its just a big town. My town has always had this reputation of being a little liberal mecca inside one of the more conservative western states - its a college town that has a high population of "hippies" and artists and outdoorsmen. It also has an incredibly high percentage of drug users, drunk drivers, and transients. I honestly thought this was great when I was a young, impressionable teenager - it was a great party atmosphere. But now that I'm older, I am starting to see my town as a place that seems to encourage people to do absolutely nothing with their lives other than smoke pot and drink. Its a rare thing to find someone who DOESN'T do drugs here, and the reputation my town has for this just makes it worse - people actually come here to get that acceptance. Its driving me insane. Are there other places like this? Or am I in some alternate universe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "Its a rare thing to find someone who DOESN'T do drugs here, and the reputation my town has for this just makes it worse" Same with the town I grew up in. I think I am the only one I know who doesnt do drugs. Thankfully I dont live in that black hole anymore.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• wow do you live in the same town as me? seriously sounds like the exact same place!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• The town that I graduated from and lived in for 5 years was HORRIBLE! The only thing they have to offer kids around there is farming on mommy and daddy's land, becoming a nurse or joining the Army... and recently I found out that tey cancelled the JROTC program so they really don't even have that to offer kids anymore. They are one of the lowest graded schools in the system and sometimes aren't even recognized as a high school that is good enough (diploma wise) for college!

I am soooo glad I am not from that town and wasn't raised there so I had some other education behind me and some other towns to look at for examples!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Eh my town, good old Burlington City New Jersey is pretty trashy. Our streets are over run by bumbs asking for 'cigs', drugs, money, and yelling innapropriate things at young girls. Our drug rate it outragous. We have oddles of abandoned homes that no one has bothered to board up, so kids go there to get high and drink. There are no activities for younger children. Our parks are over run by the bumbs and by drug dealers or teens drinking and having sex. I hate it hear. The sad thing is, if you weeded out all of the trashy ppl, fixed up the abandoned houses, and put some of our taxes towards community activities, it would be the beautiful historical river town that it used to be.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I live in Crime-lanta aka Forbes magazine's #1 most polluted city in the US. So "toxic" here means that yes there are crack vials on the street AND they have leached chemicals into the drinking water. Our adult illiteracy rate in city limits has been as high as 18% while I've lived here.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I do believe towns or places can have their own aura....the energy in some places is just toxic. Most of the state I grew up in is this way, but my childhood "home" town is the worst. In fact, I feel like the darkness of the energy is so bad that I won't take my children to see where I grew-up it is very sad. The people of the town brought this bad energy and it won't go away.
    mommalaa

Answer by mommalaa at 6:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Ecodani, Atlanta itself is a pit. I live in the atlanta suburbs and it's not as bad. I grew up here and am pretty used to things but I hate going into the city and avoid it at all costs. I do try to go see the Braves every now and then.
    Anonymous