How do you make gravy?

I am making roast for dinner and i want to use some of the juices in the roast to make a gravy....i just dont know how you do that. Can anyone help me on this one?

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 5:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It's pretty easy, drain all of the juices into a seperate pot, add a little flour and water, premix the flour and water - this is to thicken the gravy, you can add a little at first then more if you like. Just add a little salt and pepper to taste, should be yummy.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 5:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I open a jar, but to make it for real, check here. (it's too long to copy and paste) It even has pics.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I always make gravy by starting with a roux: equal amounts butter and flour-- 2 TB of each.

Heat it gently until the butter is fully melted and the whole thing begins to bubble. Stir it with a whisk constantly.

Then slowly pour in your juices while whisking. It will thicken very very fast. It'll use about 2 cups of juices.

salt and pepper
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• haha Punkey. I usually just get the little packets but it smells so good right now when it is cooking so i wanted to try something new. Thanks guys!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I leave my "broth/juices" in the same pan that I cooked the meat. After taking out any lumps from the juices, I add a little water and bring the liquid to a simmer, whisking in Wondra flour until it is thickened to my liking. I then add a few drops of Gravy Master to add color and flavor. (http://www.gravy.com/) Season with a bit of salt and/or pepper. Yummy!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 6:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I mix some cornstarch & cold water in a cup, mix well til the lumps are out. Boil your juices in a pot and slowly whisk the corstarch water in, til it's as thick as you like. Tastes better than flour and easier than a roux.
    Anonymous

• for white gravy you add milk, flour, grease/juice, and salt/pepper, for brown gravy you add water , flour, grease/juice, salt and pepper
    Anonymous

• I open a jar. My son doesn't like "fake" gravy. He thinks homemade gravy is in the jar. He has had homemade gravy and doesn't like it. I just go with what he will eat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I'm lazy. I use a powdered mix that you add water to.
    Anonymous

• I take the needed amounts of Fat/drippings from what ever I made. I put it in a sauce pan and like boil it. Meanwhile I take like 3T- 4T. of Flour in a 4 cup measuring cup & fill it with cold water. I add to the cooking liquid* mentioned and add Beef and perhaps chicken base. Its a poweder. I add a litle at a time! After I whisked up my flour & water so it has no lumps I pour it in my pan with the drippings & bases. I add pepper too! White or black! I keep it going until it almost boils and thickens well! My Gravy is always Raved on!! I hope you find what you like Best! May it turn out your way!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010