Do you yell at customer service agents over the phone?

Another question prompted me to ask this... My DH is a customer service/technical service agent for a national satelite TV company. He comes home every day depressed because he gets yelled at constantly by people who are angry about something to do w/ their tv service - and usually, whatever they are angry about is THEIR fault. Forgetting to pay their bill, getting a searching-for-service signal b/c they knocked their dish over, or they signed a contract that they later regretted... It just makes me angry that people can be so cruel to someone who is just trying to do their job. My DH gets called an asshole, a moron, and is accused of being a thief every day, for no reason, because people are angry about their stupid tv. My DH is never allowed to react to these insults, and he's always professional and nice to every customer. But I can't understand why people do this. Do YOU yell at people when you are angry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Nope, I make it a point to be nice.. You don't get anywhere losing your temper, and the person on the other end is just doing their job. If I feel I'm not getting the help I need I will just say thank you and call back another time in the hopes I get someone that knows more about my situation.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• no, I used to be a CSR for a bank's 800 # OMG! you have not heard irate customers until you work for a bank!!!

"I'm sorry ma'am, but you only had $10 in the account, you wrote a check for $200 and over drew it" "@#$#@% @# $#@ $ @# $@ #$ !"
    Anonymous

• Years ago I was a customer service tech for an insurance company. So no I don't yell at anyone over the phone. Being a CSR you learn patients real fast. I think it should be a requirement for everyone.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I only yell if it is something that i didnt do. Or if they are giving me the run around. When i was getting my internet set up they told me they were going to send someone out and they lied to me and never put in the order to get someone out to my house. After it was a month in a half of paying for the service i was not getting i called AGAIN and told them i wanted to speak with the manager they tried to tell me that i was not able to talk to them and i told them that i will keep calling and yelling unless they transfer me. So they did. Because they had lied to me many times i got the whole department fired that was handling my calls. I got someone out to the house the next day and 2 months of free service because i was paying for it when it was not connected. But i wont yell for no reason. I worked CS for a catalog and it was the worst. So i know how it feels.
    Anonymous

• I often tell them from the beginning, "I know you have nothing to do with this and it's not your fault, but I need help."

In the rare even the person can help me and I don't get passed around a million times (oh Bank of America please explode) I always thank the person and submit to their quality control survey. I know their job depends on it and their chance for promotion too.

What I don't understand is why the CSR folks get the short end of the stick from the company. They stick these people in a powerless position and give them no information.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• well i would like to BUT its fustrating when i know they are just gonna say "i just work here, there's nothing i can do" thats really annoying so maybe that could be your hubby's future response cause it pisses me off lol

but now i know your hubby gets all depressed about it, all the more reason for people to do it and not feel sorry about it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• OP - ecodani, you are totally right that CSRs get put in a terrible position. For example, at my DH's company, my DH is put into the position of having to tell a customer over and over again that the fact that they didn't pay their bill is NOT the company's fault, and that they need to pay it to get their service back. BUT, if that customer even MENTIONS possibly switching to another company, my DH is required to transfer them to another agent who has the ability to offer them ANYTHING in order to get them to stay (credits, new DVR boxes, etc.). So it makes my DH look like an ass to that customer. Its annoying and degrading to my DH and his coworkers. But I disagree that they have "no information". My DH is incredibly knowledgeable about his work and could help any customer who would actually LISTEN to him with their technical issues, but most just refuse to listen to him, in favor of calling him a dick.
    Anonymous

• OP - Americansugar80 - WTF? My DH may be a bit different than the people YOU have talked to, but he is NEVER able to say, "I just work here". They aren't even allowed to say that. He keeps telling them, "Listen, here's what you have to do," and if they don't listen, that is THEIR fault, not his. F*** you if you think that berating someone for trying to do their job is "more fun" if you know it affects them at home.
    Anonymous

• I worked for several years as a CSR and now I train new CSRs that come into my company. It's hard not to take every angry call personally. Especially if they start to stack up which sounds like a daily occurence in your DH's case. Having been in the hot seat before I make sure to never yell at a CSR regardless of my situation. If I find myself getting frustrated to the point that I want to yell I ask to speak to someone else who is better suited to handle my situation.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I have only once yelled at a CSR and that was when he told me that my credit card obligations were of a higher importance than feeding my kids. I'm not kidding. I asked him if I should forego feeding my children in order to pay his bank my newly raised credit card minimum and he actually said YES. I yelled, I cursed and then I proceeded to calmly lay out for him my entire monthly budget and told him if he wanted me to get it paid each month then he could help me figure out where I could fit it into my budget. He hung up on me.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2010