How long does a gallon of milk last in your house??

How long does a gallon of milk last in your house?? I feel like between my husband and I and our 3 year old and 14 month old, we are going through a gallon a day?! Any one else going through this??

Mrs.Koukas2006

Asked by Mrs.Koukas2006 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1 gallon will last about 4-5 days in my house. I only use it to cook and DH will have a glass with dinner. I will have a glass about once a week. Maybe a little more.
    Anonymous

• Omg I feel you! I think we are going through about a gallon a day too. There are 4 of us too - me, my husband, 3yr old and 12 month old. We use whole milk for the 1yr old and 1% for the rest of us, but I'm still buying one gallon of each every couple of days!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• A gallon expires before I use it. My son hasn't drank milk since he was between 12-18 months old. Neither of us drinks milk. I cook or bake with skim milk only.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I know what you are going threw my 3 year old would drink a gallon in a day if I would let her.
    K.LOVE

Answer by K.LOVE at 8:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• A week or more if we buy a gallon. We usually only buy a half gallon. I only put it in oatmeal and I try to get my kid to eat a hot breakfast so he only drinks a cup a milk every once in a while.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 9:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• A gallon of milk lasts about 2-3 days in our home. I'm wondering how much it would cost to buy a couple of dairy cows just to keep us in milk! lol
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I buy a half gallon of milk once or twice a month. We really only use it for oatmeal and baking. It usually spoils before it gets used up.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Milk is one of the most nutritionally complete foods we can give our kids, so to these moms that don't use any....you really should unless you are offering soy or some other type of milk! We go through a gallon every two or three days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• We use a gallon in about a day &1/2 - I have twins 3 y/o and they still dring alot of milk. We also use for cereal, cooking, etc. So I guess from the answers above we normal :-)
    yenko

Answer by yenko at 11:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Milk is good only in moderation and rarely past 2-3 years old. My daughter always drank a lot of milk, until I talked to my sister and she made me realize, the only thing we have heard from parents (we are both daycare providers) is how their doctors have told them they are giving their child TOO MUCH milk. We have never heard a doctor say that a child needs more milk. It's an illusion. Milk is good, don't get me wrong, but I have toned it way down and a gallon of milk now lasts a little over a week. Actually the gallon in my fridge right now expires tomorrow and it still has enough left for a whole day.

Give your children WATER. My daughter rarely even gets juice because there's tons of sugar, which is unhealthy & bad for her teeth - she LOVES fruit & gets all the nutrients & vitamins that way. I was very proud when I offered her some juice and she turned it down saying, "Mommy, I don't like juice, I like water." Yay!
    emilyschildcare

Answer by emilyschildcare at 2:08 AM on Jan. 22, 2010