how do i transition to cereal?

i really should know the answer to this seeing as i've worked in daycares for pretty much forever... but with other people' s kids i'm doing what they ask and now with my own, it's all up to me.

i've been putting cereal in his formula and i just realized that he is supposed to be on his way to baby food...like, NOW. i got away with not looking like an ignorant new mom because of the fact my son (almost 6 months) has been sick so i used that as an excuse to why he isn't transitioning... really, i am just clueless. lol.

is there a wrong way? tricks of the trade? i get the jist of it but normally the kids come to me ready to go... i am guessing though that my son isn't going to look at me one day and say, "hey, momma, hand me that spoon with some stuff on it...thanks." though, that would be cool.

thank you ladies!

spazlilsister

Asked by spazlilsister at 6:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cereal is supposed to be given only on the spoon...it's a choking risk in the bottle. Yeah, I know they sell cereal nipples. It's for the same reason RJ Reynoldsstill sells cigarettes...there's money to be made. Safety doesn't calculate into bottom lines.

Remember that formula is baby's main meal all the way to the first birthday...MOST of his nutrition needs to come from that and solids are an afterthought.

And don't sweat this. Just put the solids on a spoon and feed. If he's ready for them he'll swallow. If he's not, he'll push it out. No biggie either way. Solids are not really a big deal. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 6:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• This is what i did. My son is 7 months now. You shouldnt put the cereal in a bottle. It is not good for them. It raises the risk of them choking. Get the baby bowls and spoons. When giving them a new food use just half of a jar. Untill you know if they will have a reaction to it or not. When they get used to it more then you can go up to a full jar. Start with the veggies. It will be harder to get them to eat the veggies if you start with fruit because they will want everything to be sweet. If you have more questions about it let me know and ill tell you what i know.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• You are not behind. Babies should not get ANY solids (cereal is a solid) before 6 months. That is the position of the World Health Organization, the American Academy of Pediatrics, UNICEF, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and others. Here is an article (with sited studies) explaining why early introduction of solids is harmful: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

During the first year all your baby's nutritional needs are met by breast milk or formula, Any solid food is just for learning and experimenting.  We didn't even do cereal, since the only thing it does is overload baby with iron that isn't even bio-available.  We started with sweet potatoes at 8 months.  Don't feel like you have to start with cereal, just because that's what our parents did. 

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 7:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard!!!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2010