RSVP; Its just good manners! Do you do it?

Répondez s'il vous plaît; it is French and means 'respond, please.' (That is not exact, but that is the meaning, which is all that matters.)
I hate that most of my friends and in-laws do not RSVP.
When I host anything at my house I have food and drink and want to know how much of both to have on hand, but no one RSVP's so I have to guess. I am seriously thinking that this weekend for my 2 yr olds Bday I am not going to guess, I am thinking I will only get enough food for those who bothered to RSVP, but then I'll have those who didnt, here eating it all up......What to do?!
It is really getting to me. (Dont even get me started on the people who know I dont want food/drink in certain rooms and just do it anyway)
Is it so much to ask that they let me know if they plan on being here?
Should I really have to call them all and ask?

_Kitty_kat_

Asked by _Kitty_kat_ at 6:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Entertainment

• I RSVP to everything, even if I can't go. It is just plain rude not to. People are expecting you. may have to make or buy food. etc. People just need to learn manners and RSVP, it only takes a few seconds. My family is horrible with doing RSVP's..they don't even send them for weddings. They don't care about other people's time or feelings.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I also always make sure to RSVP for events. It is rude not to. However, since your child's birthday is coming up, I would go ahead and call those who haven't RSVP'd and ask whether they will be joining since you haven't heard back from them. Maybe in the future they will RSVP without having to be asked.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 7:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Always. It's considerate and proper etiquette. And I expect others to do the same for me.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I agree with chocaholic888. It's just proper etiquette, and respect.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• i usually rsvp. once for a wedding i did not. i had infant twins and i misplaced the invite. i still feel bad!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• usually yes. Sometimes I forget but if I don't then I don't go.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I hate it when people don't RSVP!! I had a bday party for my 9 yr old DD. There are only 4 other girls in her 3rd grade class so I thought it was safe to just invite those girls. Not too many for a slumber party or too expensive to take ice skating. She also invited her cousin and another brand new girl to the base (military). So 7 girls all together. Only ONE from her class RSVP'd by the Wednesday prior to the Friday party! So I let her invite some other girls that live around us so she could have SOME kids at her party besides her cousin and her little sister.
    She invited 3 other girls and they all RSVP'd right away. Every other girl RSVP'd the day of the party!! I was not happy, especially at 3 am when all 9 girls were still awake and completely wild. I should have said "Sorry, we already have tickets for ice skating." but I didn't want to do that to my DD...
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• And about the drinking/eating in a room you don't want them to--just blockade it with a HUGE sign that says "NO FOOD/DRINK beyond this point." If they do it anyway, just ask them to leave the room.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I always RSVP if it is requested to do so in an invitation/evite/etc. Someone has invited me to their event and will likely provide food, entertainment, possibly party favors for children so I should show appreciation by at least making a phone call or email to inform them I'm coming. It is very frustrating when family and friends because then I have to call a lot of people last minute. Thankfully my family and friends are very responsible when it comes to RSVP-ing.
    Greenesa08

Answer by Greenesa08 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yup, I always RSVP and I expect the same courtesy.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2010