What do you think?

My husband just returned from Afghanistan and not 6 weeks later he was sent to Haiti. He is part of the 82nd Airborne and has to be back in Afghanistan in March. While I am not complaining I AM wondering if this is wearing on any other family members. This has cut into his R&R and decompression from Afghanistan. He has to head to Texas and train in March. Couldn't there have been a better way to use US resources without exhausting the troops?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What do I think? Praise GOD your husband is in our military to serve! When you enlist - you belong to the US government and are at their disposal. You know this before enlisting. I do feel for you, but understand the job title and responsibility also.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Wow.

I fervently wish he could get a break. It is wonderful of him to help the desperate Haitians, and it is nice that he is not in a war zone ... but the scene in Haiti is so intense, I hear; both in dealing with the needs of the people and in dealing with the miasma of death everywhere.

Does he have any access to a computer connection? It is VERY soothing to be able to see his beloved on a computer screen while you talk with him ...

My own son is heading to Afghanistan at that time - perhaps they will be serving together.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• They wonder why the Army's suicide rates is so high? High Divorce rate? Well, they don't give them a fricken break. They don't give them time to decompress. The government abuses the manpower and continues to expect more and more. Till these fine men and women reach a breaking point. Then they wonder why they killed. Why they committed suicide. The government is abusing our servicemen and women. But our service men and women are too proud and committed to speak up for themselves.
    Anonymous

• My husband just brought something up after sharing this with him--- When he is finished in Haiti, he could request a delay in his next deployment.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• It is ridiculous. There are dozens of guard units that are ready willing and able to go. It makes no sense to not activate these units. My own dear hubby has taken an all volunteer group. They tried to get authorization for more people and couldn't get it. They had more willing to go.

OP, you are correct. This is not the most practical use of our military. I think you are well aware of what "goes with the job." The government simply isn't using resources as well as they could.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• "My husband just brought something up after sharing this with him--- When he is finished in Haiti, he could request a delay in his next deployment. "

Wonderful ! ... I hope that pans out !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• what Waldorfmom said... And THANK YOU! to him for defending our country... :)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2010