Breastfeeding help!!

I'm currently breastfeeding and my baby is 4 months old. Everything was fine up until three weeks ago. My baby is constantly crying and only having about 3 wet diapers a day. I am nursing on demand what can I do? Is it ok if I give him formula? OR should i keep nursing and maybe my milk will supply will come back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Op here

I am nursing every hour and I'm about to give up. He is steady screaming and only stops screaming when he falls asleep because of exhaustion. Everyone is telling me to keep breastfeeding and I fear that my baby is starving. He is only having 3 wet diapers a day and they aren't that wet. I use cloth diapers and change him often. He only poops once a day. I have called le lache and they told me to keep feeding on demand but i think something is wrong here.
    Is it really that wrong for me to give him formula to see if that gets him to stop crying?
    Anonymous

• Trying nursing him him more often than you are. If you feel he is not satisfied, you can supplement with a little formula but the best thing to do if you think your milk supply has decreased is continue to nurse, or pump if you can. The more you substitute formula for nursing, the less milk your body is going to make. However I definitely think you should do something because only 3 wet diapers a day is not enough.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If you are not producing enough get some formula. Keep trying to breast feed if you want to continue it but if he does not get enough then give him a bottle. You want to make sure that he is getting enough to eat.
    Anonymous

• When you say three wet diapers...*how* wet? Four tablespoons water in a dry dipe will tell you how wet it needs to be. Wetter than that? Counts for more than one dipe.

And how about poops? We look for TOTAL changes per day, not just wets.

Any solids in the picture?

This IS teething time, so teething may have an impact and be causing the crying. I see no reason so far to even entertain the thought of formula....but get back to me on the TOTAL dipe count. Should be six in 24 hours.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• OK. A total count of four per day IS a bad thing. Go do the formula. Right now.

And I NEVER say this. But do it for now. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU QUIT NURSING! It means we figure out what's going wrong.

And then please come to the breastfeeding moms group. We can get this settled. We CAN. Get there as soon as you finish mixing the formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Did you start taking a hormonal birth control? Were there any other changes that started around 3 weeks ago? It does sound like your milk is low, the question is WHY so that you can try and fix it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Get a supplemental nursing system and give the formula in that so it stimulates your body to make more milk or pump and give the pumped milk in that. The supplemental nursing system will help stimulate your body while still giving him what he needs. You do also need to start evaluating what has changed in the last couple weeks to determine why your supply dropped. You can start taking fenugreek and making sure you drink lots of water to help up the supply too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2010