What else do you put on a resume when you're a SAHM?

I would like to start applying for jobs after being at home with my kids for the last 7 years. The thing is, I really don't know what I could put on a resume for past experience. Any jobs I worked at were soooo long ago, they hardly seem appropriate to put on a resume now. I was damn near a kid then! Also, anybody that worked with me then no longer works there so I don't have any references. What I'm really wondering is, how could I get an employer to even give me a chance when I've been at home for so long? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gandeluv

Asked by Gandeluv at 6:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Domestic engineer
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Don't put experience, put your SKILLS. Google resume skills. You will find out you have many skills that most businesses need. What I found helpful when I was returning to work after being a SAHM was to start with temporary agencies. The larger companies screen their workers through temp agencies. The agency also helps you with resumes.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills and experiences that employers value: logistics, time management, budgeting, etc. Changes are, you have some volunteer experience, like at school or a house of worship, where you organized people or events, did office work, etc.

You will want to list your previous employement, too.

Create a Linkedin profile, and connect with former coworkers; find other ways to network (make sure that everyone you know, knows that you are looking for a job.

I do career and jobsearch coaching; I will be happy to review your resume and help you structure a job search (I don't charge CafeMoms for this). Feel free to contact me offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I have been a stay at home mom for 15 years I am just now jumping in the work pool. I started volunteering and took some computer classes. You have computer skills at the very least, if you do not know excel learn it along with power point and word if you know them that is a big plus for your resume.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 8:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Just send a cover letter outlining your skills. If you have volunteered someone put that on a resume along with skills or so thats necessary for the job you are applying for.
    Anonymous

• think of the skills you have learned such as mutlitasking, conflict resolution, and time management. Even being at home requires management skills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Thank-you ladies!!! You have all been very helpful!
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2010