Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my brother lost his 2year old son,and want to have another baby but can not produce 1. Does anyone know were he can find a sperm donor for free or low cost?

any advice will be very helpful thank you.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

Answers (12)
  • There are a lot of sperm banks on the net, but they are defenitely not cheap, one vile can cost you in excess of over 500. or more, but they give you the whole medical background, and ethnic background attached to it. Good Luck!

    Answer by older at 7:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

  • You cant just get free sperm unless someone you know is willing to donate it to you & even then the medical procedure to use it is not free & not cheap from what i hear.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

  • If they cant afford the process to get pregnant with donor sperm, how can they afford a baby? What about his wife? how does she feel? If you lost your child, even though you think a new baby will help its not a replacement for that child. You need time to grieve that loss.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2010


    Right now they only have one free donor (they used to have 4) which you can read about him here

    Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

  • Your husband?

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • The person questioning their finances is being rude. Its easy to pay for the care all throughout the year, but to come up with a huge expense all at once is hard and you can understand that. The woman has lost a nephew and you want to be rude with her about her brothers money situation. She asked where to find a donor, not how you felt about her brothers finances.

    To the OP, I am not sure where to find that sort of donor, but it looks like someone else gave you a link. Hope it works out.

    Answer by VintageWife at 8:07 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • I'm very, very sorry for your brother's loss. As for sperm donation, does he have anyone in his life who would be willing to donate sperm to him? A friend or relative? With a friend or relative you could side-step many of the medical procedures by using the old 'turkey baster' artificial insemination method... assuming she doesn't have fertility issues making advanced treatment necessary. Sounds bizarre, but I had friends who used this method to get pregnant.

    Answer by Freela at 8:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Does he have a family member or good friend who is willing to donate? If he does then they can probably do it themselves the old fashioned way. All they need to do is get turkey baster and a cup and make sure they're all sterile. Boil them for about 10 minutes to make sure everything is clean. The donor goes into the bathroom and produces the sample then his wife takes the sample and uses the turkey baster to fertilize herself.

    They may want to draw up some legal documents in the event that the procedure takes... just in case there are custody disputes in the future.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • that's what i was thinking... family or friend that would donate. And if he can't have kids how did he have the one? Just wondering. I mean I know things can happen in life, just kinda confusing. I guess they could always go the cheap way and have someone else have sex with the wife... LOL I AM JUST JOKING! :) But I would suggest trying to find a family member (that way the child will look like him) and if not then find a friend. I know my hubby would do it for one of his friends

    Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • To the person stating that "if they can't afford the proceedure, how can they afford a baby?" You're an idiot. A child's costs are over extended periods of time. Fertility treatments, IVF all that cots thousands upon thousands of dollars up front. Many people who have kids and are doing fine can't afford fertility help. SMH....

    OP, I wish I could help. The best advice I can offer is for them to talk to her gyn who can probably help them find the right channels. But I do think they should wait and grieve for a while, because it sounds like they are trying to replace their lost little one. I am very sorry for your family's loss.

    Answer by katzmeow726 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Trying to Conceive
Could I be pregnant?

Next question overall (Entertainment)
Dr. Phil?