how to get a 2 yr old to use the potty??

my lil girl is 2 1/2 yrs old and just wont use the potty! i can tell her to use the potty and she will say ok i go to potty but when i try to get her to sit on it its a big fight she wont use it and if i do get her to sit on it she will argue with me telling me she wants a diaper! and some times she will sit on it for a long time but only to look at her books she never actually uses it what should i do any advice

nurski

Asked by nurski at 7:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let me know when you find out cuz I'm dealing with the same thing with my two year old. She peed on the potty twice, and pooped in it once...since she pooped in it, she's been like afraid of it and refuses to sit on it!! and my niece is 3 1/2 and she is still not potty trained. However, my neighbors little girl is 2 1/2 and she is completely potty trained, except for at night...but I think it's because she's got an older brother...idk good luck!!
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• keep trying. i was looking at the 3 day potty method on babycenter.com, and once our weather gets warmer here i am going to try it. I just keep sitting my daughter down who just turned 2 and i let her play with stuff and talk to her. As long as she sits there and doesn't run away, then let her go. My daughter peed for the first time on her potty yesterday, then later that evening after sitting her down she didn't want to and got up and ended up peeing on the floor. there are going to be plenty of accidents before success. Make it fun, reward her and tell her of rewards if she does. Tell her she will get to wear big girl underwear if she goes on the potty, get some and show them to her. Good luck!
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 8:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• try cloth diapers they dont like sitting in there waste just tell her your using new diapers i potty trained all three of my kids like that they were all potty broke before the age of 2
    inmemoryofjacob

Answer by inmemoryofjacob at 10:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• get a cheap toy or book that she can only have when she is on the potty - then major reinforcements if she goes
    The turning point for my son was when I gave myself m&ms for peeing and did not share with him - within ten minutes he peed on the potty
    Also he loved the Elmo's potty time DVD
    jtchil

Answer by jtchil at 12:07 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• We did it by offering potty stamps, not stickers, but inked stamps. At first, she got them when she sat. Then, she got them when she peed and pooped. After a while, she stopped asking. She was done by 2.

With my younger daughter, we just started at 15 months setting her on the potty so it wouldn't be strange or scary. She now poops at 16 months, and yes, she asks to poop before anyone says oh you're trained not her. Anyway, who cares if I am trained? I won't have to worry about my 3 year old not going in the potty!

Has she got any older friends? I think that's a big factor with my baby is she sees her big sister going potty.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 6:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2010