18months and dont talk

My 18 month son still don't talk and I worried cause my first son started talking once he turned one... I know everyone is different but my son understands everything and its like he knows all his symbols. He does know mama dada papa and maybe 4 other words... What do you think am I just being paranoid?

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes very paranoid. He is saying some words. Not a problem at 18 months.
    Anonymous

• Don't worry! You are doing fine and that is perfectly normal. Don't push, he'll talk when he wants to.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• have him tested for autism.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• my daughter just turned 2 and isn't talking. she says ma, da, and ball. we have to get her evaluated because the pediatrician said she is developmentally delayed with speech, and she is the same way. can find all her body parts, can do what you ask and can motion for you to do something for her or with her and so much more, but just refuses to talk. So frustrating.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 7:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• just want to add because of the reference to autism...if your child is connecting with you through eye contact, plays well like building blocks and is and has developed other motor skills other than speech then he is fine. go read about it. there are many other factors than just not talking that are attributed to autism. don't be scared. he might just need some speech therapy to get him motivated.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 7:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My son is 16 months and isn't saying anything. Sure he'll say "Quack" when I ask him what a duck says. Or "Mmmm" when I ask him what a cow says. But he's not saying mama or dada or anything else yet. Everything else is fine though. He understands a lot of what we're saying also.

Our doctor referred us to a speech therapist and they're coming in to evaluate him on Thursday. I'm not worried at all! I'm just excited to see what we can do to help him out by a specialist! Every child develops at their own speed and as I've heard many times boys sometimes take a lot longer to talk than girls. Don't worry!!

Anonymous

• my dh did the same thing, i was so worried, had her hearing checked and the doctor said do you make her ask for things or do you let her point lol i let her point (but not after that lol). she also liked to take things apart verses play with the toy. he'll talk but on his time and way good luck!!!!!!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• my dd only said "mama" "dada" and "ball" until she turned 19mos. Then it was like she just started talking and was up to between 50-75 words by the end of the week.... She's now 2 and speaks 3-4 word sentences. I would wait a little longer and see if he talks more.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• If you have any concerns, please have him evaluated by early intervention. If there is any delay they can catch it early, and if there's not at least you have peace of mind. If they recommend speech therapy it's certainly not going to hurt him!

Answer by missanc at 8:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My dd is 18 months old, and the only words she can say are "mama", "dada", "dat" (that), "dah" (dog), "bubbah" (bubble), and "ba" (bath). She has been evaluated by early intervention, and they say she is not delayed.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2010