Is my 16mths old eating too much?

My 16mth old is eating 3 good size bowls of cereal for breakfast and half a banana. for lunch its peanut butter sandwich and a handful of snack crackers. Dinner is two of the toddler meals and an apple. Plus she snacks all day long in between meals. I am not sure but is this too much food???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No as long as she is eating healthy food, and it seems like she is, than she should be fine. She could be going through a growth spurt if this is not "normal" for her.
    Just relax and don't worry.
    Anonymous

• ummmmm,yeah.too much food.
    Anonymous

• is she over weight for her size, should discuss with ped. at next visit. 2 y o go through eatting phases eatting all the time or not eatting and being picky, check with doctor to make sure there is nothing physically going on with her.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• That sounds like a lot of food to me. However, she could have a high matabolism and be perfectly healthy. Talk about it at her next Pedi appointment and see what her doctor things.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Thanks for the answers. She is actually above average height and a little low weight. Not too sure what to think about the constant eating.
    Anonymous

• I'd ask the pediatrician because an over active thyroid could make her metabolism really high. So she'd eat like a grown man but hardly gain any weight/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• it sounds like a lot....mine is almost 20 months and has a nutrigrain bar and banana for breakfast, usually left overs or a sandwich for lunch, fruit snacks and applesauce for snack and a sm plate of whatever i cook for dinner.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• it sounds like too much, i have an 18 month old and a 5 year old and neither one eats that much.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It does sound like a lot to me. My son is 19 months old and tall. Like 35 inches tall or close to that. He's also 28lbs. He will eat a whole grain waffle or a egg with a banana or berries for breakfast. Four whole-grain crackers with cheese, some vegetables for lunch. He'll snack on some goldfishes and fruit or veggies with a cup of milk between lunch and dinner. A small plate of whatever I made for dinner. A graham cracker and some blueberries or apples after dinner. He is not big on snacking, though. I'd have your daughter's thyroid checked. Here's a suggestion, keep a food diary for a week or two, and then show it to your daugher's doctor and see what he/she thinks.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Cereal and crackers should be whole grain
    He should be drinking water with meals
    He should be moving towards eating what you eat (which is hopefully a balanced diet)
    His day sounds a bit light on fruits and vegetables; you should both have seven servings a day, in at least three different colors
    Add some cooked beans or other legume every day.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2010